Port de Balés - You stole my wheels and that's what really hurts - CycleBlaze

May 26, 2024

Port de Balés

Bought the fridge magnet so we had to go

The tour guide does not like to blow his own horn, but the weather (as noted earlier -  that he is responsible for) was perfect again today. We were so fortunate that our timing for this foray into the Pyrenees mountains worked out so well. The route he chose was not bad either.

We  had breakfast in our room and packed our panniers to leave Luchon and head back to Saint Bertrand. The route will be through the Col de Balés. Port de Balés was paved in 2007 for the Tour de France and has been used six times since. We were both a bit apprehensive about this one, as we are with all the longer climbs. But the challenge and the amazing sights are such a strong pull. We should have been doing this twenty years ago when our  bodies were far better suited! It is a 20 KM ride with an 1125 metre gain.

Leaving town, we stopped at our favourite patisserie and bought some sandwiches and treats for the road. The ride began on the same route as yesterday but turned off 4.5 KM from town. Immediately the grade picked up for the next couple of kilometres and then it was really a most enjoyable grade until the last 5K.

The view from our room this morning. Gideeup!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Leaving the town of Luchon for the last time.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Do not let the 3.4% fool you. There is much pain ahead - 18KM to be exact and often at much steeper grades!
Heart 1 Comment 0
The route is open to the Port de Bales from this side but was closed to cars from the other side. It looked like there had been a rock slide but bikes could easily get around it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Views like Saccourvielle in the hills can help take your mind off the grade but it can be tough to get back on your bike after the photo has been taken.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Looking back has the best views early on this ride.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is the range that you can see from Luchon.
Heart 4 Comment 0
A closer look.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Entering Saint-Pauls d`Oueil. It is a really pretty village and the grade became quite manageable from here for several kilometres. It breaks the ride up nicely.
Heart 4 Comment 0
A fabulous home that is a chambre d`hote. The three black sections at the peak of the roof are houses for birds.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Water source at the side of the road.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Completely rock buildings. Their walls are true artistry.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Looking back again.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A closer look at those peaks.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Another. It was a really great day for sure.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The full range.
Heart 3 Comment 0
These guys or gals were real beauties.
Heart 4 Comment 0
All fun now but we have a ways to go to get to the top of Port de Balés.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Our lunch stop had a picnic table with this view of the Oueil valley. The multiple shades of green on the hill are a sight.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Heading up the d`Oueil Valley. It's quite cool when we stop for a break so jackets are required. They come off again soon after we start riding!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Great views. Great day for sure.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Another pretty village on route. This one is Cirés.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A bit of a downhill is appreciated but you have to make it up later!
Heart 2 Comment 0
The final section of road to the col begins through these cows and is cutting across this slope somewhere. We encountered four of them on the road just ahead!
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is one of the old gondola cars from the lift that was replaced last year in Luchon. They appear to seat 4 skiers and the new ones 16. Good place to put your old skis too!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bourg-d'Oueil. If you can believe it - Wikipedia states,¨Bourg-d'Oueil is a rural commune with 10 inhabitants in 2021, after having had a peak population of 171 inhabitants in 1821¨. We counted two dogs as well.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The village of Bourg-d'Oueil has their own ski hill. From the internet, ¨this pretty resort welcomes you in all simplicity on its six slopes facing the village, which offer modestly but surely three levels of skiing, a sledge area and the whole mountain for snowshoeing. Hiking, sledging or learning to ski. Nature up close and personal.¨ Looks like a fun place to learn to ski.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking down on the d'Oueil valley as we begin the last 5KM of solid climbing.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A look at Bourg-d'Oueil from above and a determined rider.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Patrick O'HaraAllez allez! Hup Hup!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Amazing speeds for the downhill on this side of the col.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A thin ribbon of snow left on the very top of the hills.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Road completed.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Road still to do.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nearing the top and one source of the Neste river.
Heart 2 Comment 0
One more K at 8%!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Stopping to look back at the road and valley from almost the top of the col.
Heart 1 Comment 0
That look says it all - Made it!
Heart 5 Comment 3
Scott AndersonCongratulations!!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Scott FenwickThank you Scott.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago

We did not stay up top for long. The refuge / coffee shop was closed and it was a bit breezy. We were very impressed with one racer that came up from the other side. He hit the flat section, took both hands off the bars, reached into his back jersey pocket, pulled out a light wind breaker, put it on and zipped it up without changing his cadence.  He did it all in seconds and was gone.

The ride down on other side of the col was quite different than the valley ride up. The road was much narrower and had a rough chip seal surface. After riding through the high alpine we traversed through a thick forested area with the Ourse River below. Scott was being very cautious, trying to keep his rims cool! He did let some air out of the tires to allow for expansion. Not sure if this helps but we made it down without any problems.

Lots of tight corners on the steep route down from Port de Balés.
Heart 2 Comment 0
It is steeper than it looks and we really had to work to control our speed on the chip seal surface. But we were in no rush.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The vegetation at the top of the Port de Balés.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Then into thick forest.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The mix of tree colours is really something.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Another look.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Along side of the Ourse River.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Last stop near Mauléon= Barousse.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We returned to Hôtel Candide in Saint-Bertrand-de-Comminges. We really liked our hosts at this hotel and we were very happy to be returning.  It seems that the guide was in such a frazzle when we left a couple of days ago that he forgot his water bottle, his cell phone and to return our room key. Unbelievable!

We sat in the lobby and enjoyed a local IPA made by Brasserie Moehau in Pointis-Inard. - about 25 KM away.  Their NZIPA is quite good. We strategized about our remaining schedule and route going forward. The weather looks really bad tomorrow and continues to be iffy into the week. Do we need a pivot? I guess the guide can only do so much.

Done and dusted.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 787 km (489 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0