In Béziers - You stole my wheels and that's what really hurts - CycleBlaze

May 15, 2024

In Béziers

A perfect rest day

Our hotel in Béziers stored our bikes in their garage which is down the block from the hotel. Today they did not move. 

Looking at the weather forecast yesterday we were expecting rain in Béziers for most of the day.  Our timing was actually pretty good as the tour planner  had arranged two nights in Béziers and the second day fortuitously coincided with a rainy day. So today was a day of rest and planning for our travels down the road. We did venture out for  a sandwich and coffee in the afternoon and returned wet and very thankful we were not on the road. We both agreed that we were ready for a do absolutely nothing day and this was the perfect day for it.

At 6 pm the clouds parted and the skies were blue. We could now explore our little corner of Béziers.

Not pretty outside today at mid day.
Heart 1 Comment 0
But then at 6 pm - beautiful blue skies . A bit cooler but a nice, fresh feeling. This is Allées Paul Riquet.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The municipal theatre In Béziers was founded in 1842. It is a beautiful ornately designed building.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A close up of the lamps in the front of the theatre.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A beautiful round-about with a fountain in the middle right at the end of the long Allées Paul Riquet.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Another mural. Note the way the mural shutters match the real ones on the front of the building.
Heart 3 Comment 0
At the highest part of Béziers near the cathedral is a a west facing promenade overlooking the Orb and beyond.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A nice place to be this evening.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Great views as the clouds lifted.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We picked a small cozy restaurant with a fireplace for dinner. It was an upscale casual sort of place. The sort of place where the fish and chips are 20 euros, but so good! We arrived and were seated all by ourselves. As is often the case, when we left the restaurant it was full. We laughed because we must be major influencers. We really enjoyed sharing fish and chips and a large salad along with a chocolate cake for desert at Les Bons Amis.

Washroom art in Les Bons Amis. The owner said the pictures were done by a local artist in a style that resembled rough artwork that could be found in the phone booths of Paris. The writing below each picture, that we could not read, is very suggestive we are told!
Heart 3 Comment 0
After dinner we returned to the cathedral and promenade to watch the sun set.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Cathedral of Saint-Nazaire-et-Saint-Celse.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Pont Vieux in Béziers is a very well known pedestrian bridge crossing the L`Orb. We will cross it on our way out of town tomorrow.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Scott AndersonIt’s open! Two years ago when we stayed here it was closed for renovation and the nearby waterfront was a mess. We’ll have to go back and see it someday.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Characteristic of Romanesque architecture (12th century), it allows the crossing of the Orb. For a very long time, it remained the only crossing point of the Orb on the way from Provence to Toulouse. It has undergone alterations at different times.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Sunset from Place Albigeois.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The end of a good day. Rested now, we carry on tomorrow.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Place Jean Jaurès. From the internet, ¨The large 350 m2 water mirror hosts a musical fountain in the evening, a free show where the water dances and lights up to music¨. It was fun to watch but there was no music tonight.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The fountain puts on a real show that reminds you of watching fireworks.
Heart 2 Comment 1
KAREN JONESOr Vegas 😉
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Our hotel in Bézier. Older three story walk up. Not flashy but works for us in a very good location.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Scott AndersonHey, we stayed there too! Nice place.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Rachael AndersonIt sure is great when you have a day off when the weather is bad!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago