Col de Peyresourde - You stole my wheels and that's what really hurts - CycleBlaze

May 25, 2024

Col de Peyresourde

Not easy (for us) but just an amazing ride

Blue sky and perfect conditions greeted us this morning as we were set to try our hand at reaching the top of a real Pyrenees  col.  Today's ride is often a part of Tour de France races. It is not really long at 14KM  but the grade on this almost 1000M climb is fairly consistently on the steeper side. You can reach this col from the east starting in Areau or from the west as we did. We rode to the top and returned to Bagnères-de-Luchon.

The Col Collective website  describes the ride like this, ¨The Peyresourde’s a cunning little fox, regularly applying the pressure and threatening to turn you around and send you packing back to Luchon for an early shower. Take your time, keep the faith, and you will be rewarded for all your hard work. With 4 kilometres to go the road opens up to reveal the Midi-Pyrenees in all its finest, putting everything in perspective once more. The climb is one thing but the descent is something else altogether. Without a doubt, an absolute masterpiece of a mountain¨. 

We whole heartedly agree. There is indescribable satisfaction to making it to the top of a big hill and the views you receive on route are always beyond compare. They are the reward for the pain.  Col de Peyresoude does all this and more. 

Above Bagnères-de-Luchon.
Heart 3 Comment 0
These signs are strategically placed every kilometre to remind you of how much pain is yet to occur. As you can see, there is lots of pain to come.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Chill horses at the side of the road.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Switchback early in the ride lets you know that you are now climbing.
Heart 4 Comment 0
There are a number of villages on both sides of the highway making it a very interesting ride. This is Saint Aventin, I believe.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Saint Aventin.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Vintage road bike art.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonI remember this spot’
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
That is a ski resort up there. You can see the lift going up near the top and other to the left. This looks like some pretty steep terrain.
Heart 2 Comment 0
More artsy bikes - these ones with wagon wheels.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The valley is obviously very rural as well.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Getting higher up these look like ski villages.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Nice road for riding with few cars
Heart 4 Comment 0
All rock house including the natural slate roof. The third little pig would definitely live here.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The sign tells that there is still more pain in our future. The last 3KM really ramps it up.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We are aiming for the gap at the top.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Getting closer.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The final hairpin turns to the col are carved steeply into the side of the hill. There are four legs to go!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Looking down at the road going up.
Heart 7 Comment 1
Scott AndersonOh, yes - this pass. So incredibly green!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Looking back at the valley and the road we came in on.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Pat reaching the Col de Peyresoude and this is the sight that greets you.
Heart 4 Comment 0
A bit of a wow moment.
Heart 7 Comment 1
Barry Devlinwow indeed!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Some serious riders just blow right through the col without even a glance around.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We took a bunch of pictures instead.
Heart 8 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonCongratulations!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Susan CarpenterWell done!! Congrats
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Ta da!
Heart 7 Comment 1
Barry Devlinway to go - woohoo!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
This restaurant is at the col. We stopped for a coffee here and at one point 5 of the 8 people sitting there were Canadian - 2 girls (in the foreground) from Montreal who were bicycle touring, a man from White Rock BC who was travelling by motorcycle, and the two of us. Go Canada!
Heart 4 Comment 0
No room. So sad.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A skiing picture at the col from over 70 years ago.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heading down the other side. We turned around and took the same route home.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heading down. Another shot of the nearby hills with the pretty villages nestled in.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A bit of a detour rewarded us with clear views of these peaks. Really spectacular on this warm sunny afternoon.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The midi Pyrenees.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The sheep were mowing the lawn for the Sunday service tomorrow.
Heart 4 Comment 0
These goats were a raucous group.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonWhat a great photo!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Arriving back in Luchon in the afternoon. Looking down the main street with the mountain back drop. It must be a very busy ski town in the winter. Right now, the flags lining the main street are of all the countries involved in the summer Olympics.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Altogether it was a great day. We spent the afternoon watching the rugby Champions Cup final between Toulouse and Leinster. Toulouse won 31-22 after extra time. The city of Toulouse must have exploded, Luchon not so much.  But there was some interest - just not as rugby crazy as Toulouse. The evening was a rare sunny and warm night. We enjoyed dinner out on a patio for a real nice change. Tomorrow the guide has another challenging ride in mind.

Heart 0 Comment 1
Patrick O'HaraNice work, team!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago

Today's ride: 28 km (17 miles)
Total: 737 km (458 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 2
David MathersCongratulations Pat and Scott 🥳 Great performance and another Col to add to your growing list 👍🍻 Nice photos!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Scott FenwickThanks David
The photos are easy when the subject cooperates.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago