to port Stanley - Milwaukee to Albany 2024 - CycleBlaze

June 11, 2024

to port Stanley

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today had more logistics than normal. It is not possible to ride across the bridge. The old ferry is not running. A U Haul trailer was rented for the bikes and gear. Passengers in the van. Border crossing was no problem.

Breakfast was at a little diner on the Canada side. There was a possibility of starting soon after the crossing and ride 90 miles to the Inn. There was a spot 70 miles out and at 43 miles out. Ken and Nancy had to unload and return the trailer. Two others stayed in the van and four of us rode out from the 43 mile spot. It was a route that was on a NE to SW or NW to SE grid. The wind was from the south and we had half tailwind or half headwind. A lot  of farmland, corn and rye (?). Mostly lightly traveled roads and the pavement was good. We had a stretch of about 5 miles of newly paved road.

Heart 0 Comment 0

 We hoped to get lunch at Tall Tales Cafe but it was closed on Tuesdays. Two other cyclists pulled in while we were there who were riding from Hayward WI to the Atlantic. They were making it up mostly as they went.

Heart 0 Comment 0

The town before the new pavement was Fingal but one of the riders thought it was Fungal. Yipes!

The weather is still cool, but warmer weather is expected soon.

Today's birds include Bobolink, Eastern Kingbird and Baltimore Oriole. I forgot Eastern Meadowlark two days ago.

Port Stanley is on Lake Erie which makes 3 of the Great Lakes on this trip. We will be near enough to Lake Ontario to get a look at some point.

Today's ride: 58 miles (93 km)
Total: 403 miles (649 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0