6/10 in Port Huron - Milwaukee to Albany 2024 - CycleBlaze

June 10, 2024

6/10 in Port Huron

It was in the low 40's for the overnight low. far below normal. There was still a little food left from the group's stash for breakfast. Then three of the ladies and I went to the Tom "Al" Edison Depot Museum. Edison lived here from the age of 7 to 16 or so. He was not a good student and was a prankster they say. He started selling newspapers on the Detroit to Pt Huron train and branched into fruit and his own newspaper. He hired people to do the same on other trains. Some of the Mickey Rooney movie from the 40's about Edison was filmed here.

Statue of young Edison
Heart 0 Comment 0
Goat
Heart 0 Comment 0

There is also a lot of info on famous wrecks and storms in the area. The St Clair River has a strong current leading to the next lake. Many wrecks in the river and in Lake Huron.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We rode the tourist trolley where someone tells all about the place. A lot of houses and chucrches from the late 1800's.

Lunch downtown.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Raven Cafe and coffee house
Heart 0 Comment 0

Walked along the river back to the hotel. Toured a light ship. They were used at shoals on the lake where a lighthouse was impractical. They would anchor for 8 to 9 months during the shipping season.

We head to Canada tomorrow. Bikes are not allowed on the bridge, so we have a U/Haul trailer for them and we will go in the van.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 1
William NielsenThere is a ferry across the St Clair River. 3 bucks a bike.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago