Along the Moselle - Follow My Heart - CycleBlaze

May 26, 2024

Along the Moselle

The troupe had all successfully arrived in Metz with bikes in tow and now it was time for our first ride together. The weather continued to be sub-optimal so we decided on an out and back ride up the Mosselle with no particular destination in mind – a wait and see ride. We assembled outside the hotel for our inaugural photo – all smiles as we got underway.

 The Moselle is a canalized river that joined the Canal de Jouy in Metz   more than a century ago. Numerous side canals and small ponds diverge from the main river as it travels through the city, and our route wound across bridges and alongside canals as we made our way north toward Thionville. Though we were often flanked by water on both sides, there were limited views from the tree-lined trail. Neither the lack of views nor the gloomy skies diminished the popularity of the cycle path and we encountered numerous cyclists and walkers out for some weekend exercise.

All smiles as we head off for the inaugural ride of the "from Metz to somewhere" tour
Heart 7 Comment 0
A big wave and smile from Suzanne
Heart 6 Comment 0
It was a joy to finally get a chance to meet and ride with Kathleen
Heart 5 Comment 0
Janos is always open for adventure
Heart 6 Comment 0
There was a small riding ring behind the trailside cafe where young girls were being trained in the equestrian arts
Heart 3 Comment 0
An occasional view of the surrounding countryside
Heart 3 Comment 0
Along the waterways of the Moselle
Heart 4 Comment 0
One of the many bridge crossings of the day
Heart 5 Comment 0
Kathleen shows off her new cycling tee
Heart 4 Comment 0
Fishers along the canalway
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 0

Suzanne and Janos pulled off at a small picnic area about ten miles into the ride where we all stopped for lunch. It seemed like a good turn-around spot for our first day but we wanted to investigate the nearby town of Maizières-lès-Metz. We crossed the bridge and successfully navigated a series of round-abouts and side streets that led to Le Cyrano, a small friendly bar with warm beverages. We never made it to the town center, instead heading back toward Metz as it began to drizzle. It was a light rain that lasted only a brief time, nothing to disturb the enjoyment of a ride with good friends. It was not long before we all back in Metz and celebrating a successful first day of our tour - where it would take us was yet to be determined, but we were sure to have fun.

Coffee stop in Maizières-lès-Metz
Heart 3 Comment 0
A little drizzle can't dampen our smiles
Heart 4 Comment 0
Metz comes into view
Heart 2 Comment 0
First ride complete - more fun to come
Heart 8 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 23 miles (37 km)
Total: 1,070 miles (1,722 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0