Day 40: Hachita to the finish! - Shifting gears on the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route. - CycleBlaze

September 28, 2024

Day 40: Hachita to the finish!

The final day!

Hachita Community Center.
Heart 1 Comment 0

I don’t think either of us slept well. We had the opposite problem of it still being hot when we turned in at 8 pm with giant fans pointed at our cots. And, yesterday was such an easy day at a downhill 100 km that I don’t think we were nearly as tired. 

Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

I woke up with wide eyes at 4:15 and maybe got another 45 minutes and then just scrolled my phone until it was time to pop out of bed. Our new friends were staying one more night so we tried to move stealthily with our head lamps to guide us. We had very little to do because there were no tents to take down and a stove to use to heat water for coffee and oatmeal. It felt one step closer to the luxuries of home!

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We were out the door just before 7 and greeted by perfect temperatures. We were smart and refrigerated our water bottles and froze one so we could enjoy cool water the rest of the way. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

The riding was just so easy. We have built a very strong foundation. It felt effortless to ride 75 km on flat pavement with almost no wind. Along the way we enjoyed taking a lot of photos as the sun popped out and lit everything perfectly. We even had a very rare sighting of a badger. We both saw him and doubled back to snap a photo. It was pretty lucky that we actually got a photo. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The badger!
Heart 3 Comment 0

With the mile markers it was easy to see the progress we were making towards the border. We ended up setting our pick up for 1 pm to give ourselves ample time to pedal, take photos, and make lunch. We ended up at the border at 10 AM exactly. It is a bit anticlimactic. Just a big black fence along the whole border and a fenced off border entrance that literally was just opening. We saw a few trucks cross while we were taking photos. And then our shuttle arrived almost 3 hours early! That was exciting.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltCane cholla (among other common names)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylindropuntia_imbricata
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltCane cholla and soaptree yucca
Reply to this comment
1 week ago

The shuttle experience was ‘interesting’ to say the least. We both picked up a nice scratch on our bikes and were happy they both made it in the back of the trailer without flying off on the highway. I struggled as a shotgun passenger and wished I was in control.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 1
Joanne RobertsonWow. That’s a long fence.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago

I didn’t experience the emotional reaction I expected to finishing. I shed my tears on the trails and that’s fine. It was certainly therapeutic.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

I feel incredibly grateful to have shared this experience with Peter. He was a rock the entire trip and a fantastic navigator. We made an exceptional team and we had an amazing time travelling together. Now we just need to figure out the final logistics with the bikes.

But first we will clean up and enjoy the hot tub and pool! 

Highlights:

-sunrise photos opportunities 

-seeing the badger

-easiest 75 km ever!

-finishing the trip!

-being able to lift my bike over my head in celebration 

Distance - 73 km /158 m elevation gain

Today's ride: 73 km (45 miles)
Total: 4,484 km (2,785 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 10
Mark M.Congratulations to you both, an incredible ride. Thanks for letting us come along with you in spirit!
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Joanne RobertsonWow! Congratulations in the process and in completing this monumental trip. And thanks for taking care of Peter. 😉
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Andrew RichardTo Joanne RobertsonIt went both ways! We supported each other.

What a great trip!!
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Bill ShaneyfeltGreat tour! Thanks for all the nature shots!

Not many cycle tourists seem to notice nature, let alone photograph it, and then make the effort to post with limited time, limited energy and limited internet. Good job!
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Andrew RichardTo Mark M.Thanks for following along. It’s been really great hearing from people.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Andrew RichardTo Bill ShaneyfeltNature was a huge part of the trip. I always notice. One of my favourite things about hiking in the alpine is seeing different wildflowers.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
George HallCongratulations! I read your journal as well as your riding partner's journal. This is a very challenging route, and many folks that start it don't complete it, so be aware that this is a special accomplishment. Best of luck on your next tour,
Reply to this comment
4 days ago
Andrew RichardTo George HallThanks George! I feel grateful that the body held up very well. I stepped on the scale once home and I weigh the same. It's a surprise to me because everything feels loose. I guess I snacked enough :)
Reply to this comment
4 days ago
Rich FrasierIt’s hard to express how much I’ve enjoyed this journal! I’m so impressed with your fitness and ability to do the ride at the pace that you’ve done it. Congratulations! And thank you for letting me ride along with you. I really feel like I have a much better feeling for what it would be like to do this ride. Thanks so much!!
Reply to this comment
2 days ago
Andrew RichardTo Rich FrasierWow, thanks Rich! It was an epic ride and much longer than anything I'd done or imagined. I loved it. And I enjoyed the journaling part as well. It's a great way to process thoughts, as well as document things because you see so much you soon forget things.
Reply to this comment
1 day ago