Day 39: To Hachita - Shifting gears on the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route. - CycleBlaze

September 27, 2024

Day 39: To Hachita

Boom! What a morning! We rode 50 km by 9:30 with the majority being hard packed, downhill, and with incredibly unique scenery. We feel like superhero’s!

RV camping in the shade.
Heart 3 Comment 0
On the dirt road by 7:30.
Heart 1 Comment 0


The day started again with stars and moonlight at the 6 AM alarm bell. I was again awake by 5:30 so that was not an issue. We joined a couple (Peter & Inge) from Holland who were also riding and staying at the RV Park, for breakfast at the picnic table. Coincidentally Inge was reading along our blog and knew we may see each other. 

Heart 2 Comment 1
Joanne RobertsonSuper Andrew! Able to ride long distances in a single season!
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Heart 1 Comment 0

We were rolling by 7:15 in full light and not yet overpowering heat. Our goal was to beat as much of the heat of the day, as well potential afternoon winds. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The scenery this morning was very nice. There was a lot of prickly pear cactus and other unique things we had not seen until this point in the trip. The riding was downright easy. For the most part it was downhill on hard packed dirt. Occasionally we’d hit a loose section of sand that would send the bike into a fishtail. We could believe we’d ridden 50 km by 9:30 am and we were soon approaching a junction with a convenience store at the highway. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 2
Joanne RobertsonLooks like Beaker on the muppets.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Bill ShaneyfeltSoaptree yucca.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yucca_elata
Reply to this comment
1 week ago

By 10 AM we were sipping our second coffee of the day outside the store in the shade and already feeling the heat rolling in. After the coffees Peter ran back in and came out with Snickers ice cream. Well done!   

Heart 1 Comment 1
Joanne RobertsonIf you can remove the spines without impaling yourself, that cactus (prickly pear) can be cooked and eaten. But I’m not suggesting people tear up and eat the flora in wild areas unless it’s a survival situation. Also, it’s next to a road where who knows what chemicals could be in the soil…gasoline, oil, lead, antifreeze, etc.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltOne of 9 or so species of prickly pear in that area. Might be brown spined.

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/78268/browse_photos
Reply to this comment
1 week ago

This is one unique store. It’s big for one thing. I expected to roll into it and find the conventional convenience and gas station wares. Nope, this was a trinket store on steroids! They had bags, T-shirts, fireworks, ornaments, Route 66 sign. Basically anything you could imagine. it was fun walking around and of course not buying anything because well who has space and I’m a minimalist.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Seeing the firecrackers brought back some childhood memories.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Joanne RobertsonLike the time my Dad stored all the Canada Day fireworks for the city’s upcoming fireworks show, in our tool shed. My mom almost had kittens when she found out.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago

We decided that since we were stopped we should just eat a couple of bagels for lunch and push to Hachita which was our destination at 100 km. Back riding at 11 and onto a frontage gravel road for about 10 km and then on the paved road to Hachita. When we turned onto the road we noted it was tar and chip road and it said loose gravel. Well the first car that passed nailed me in the shoulder with a rock. Fortunately it only startled me and didn’t hurt too bad. Every car thereafter we looked down as they passed for fear of getting hit in the face and worse the eyes; I would not want to see how my sunglasses would fare. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Joanne RobertsonDownright scary. Loose gravel that gets flung at you by cars.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago

We took turns pulling and made really great time arriving just before 1 pm into Hachita and according to Strava my second fastest 100 km. That’s saying a lot because I don’t normally ride loaded!

This guy talked when you passed. Feed me money and I predict your future.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltAnother prickly pear.

Maybe Englemann's? or possibly another brown spined?
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Nice to see Antelope Wells on signs! Hard to believe how big highway signs are from a bike.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Start of the pavement to Hachita.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Found an example of the flowers in bloom.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltSunflowers

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/57983/browse_photos?place_id=9
Reply to this comment
1 week ago

We quickly downed a Coke that I can’t say was ice cold. I think it’s so hot here that the poor refrigerator could not keep up. The town itself looks destitute. It’s littered with buildings in decay. We donated to the community centre and here we’ll enjoy slightly cooler temperatures and WIFI and then ride the final 75 km to the end. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

I just ate more noodles and ramen. I’m on the refuelling program for the weight loss getting here.  

Run down buildings.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Home for the night. Thank you Hachita!
Heart 1 Comment 0

101 km / 343 m of elevation gain

Today's ride: 101 km (63 miles)
Total: 4,411 km (2,739 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Joanne RobertsonPlus one Snickers Ice cream. Almost there!
Reply to this comment
1 week ago