Day 22: Brush Mountain Lodge to Stagecoach Reservoir - Shifting gears on the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route. - CycleBlaze

September 9, 2024

Day 22: Brush Mountain Lodge to Stagecoach Reservoir

Our day started great with a coffee from the lodge. They were very kind to us. When we were getting ready to leave Todd let us know he intended to stay in Steamboat Springs and take it easy today so we said our goodbyes and headed out separately. 

Start of the day by the lodge was very scenic.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The start of the climbing was nice and scenic but we knew we had to climb quite high so that would change quickly. Soon we were into a double wide path that was dirt and big rocks and then it turned very steep. We ended up doing the most hike-a-bike of the trip. It was not rideable. It took a while to finally get to the top at 3000 m but we did it. 

This was the most hiking we’ve done all trip. Straight up and rough!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Then it was time to descend which is usually cause for celebration but on this occasion we had the same surface for descending. It wasn’t dangerous but it certainly wasn’t pleasant. It was so bumpy it felt like your insides were shaking and my hands were falling asleep. 

The rocks were rough. Not hard riding just rough!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

We finished the major descent and emerged in a nice valley and then we pedalled along for a bit before stopping for lunch in the ditch. We still had another 20 or 30 km to get to Steamboat Springs for food resupply and shopping for new shorts for me; my one pair developed a hole in the rear just due to a lot of use. 

Pretty valley after the descent.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dwarf sunflowers.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Steamboat Springs was not as memorable as the other ski towns. The Main Street unfortunately was a 4 lane road. It really detracted for the nice shops and restaurants scattered along it. We found groceries and then bounced between a few stores to find me shorts. I’m particular about the fit and had trouble finding something suitable. Eventually I found a pair and it was nearing 4 pm with another 30 km to ride.

Shopping! Blah!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Strange sign. We know our tire tracks didn’t disrupt things
Heart 0 Comment 3
Kelly IniguezThere's a big gravel bike race in August that caps at 3,000 riders. Local ranchers are protesting the disturbance during their busiest season of the year. Plus riders use private land as potties, and even leave behind clothing they've used as toilet paper (documented). The organizer allows they could use more bathrooms.
This year the ride coincided with the county fair (even more traffic). The argument that the riders bring in lots of dollars doesn't matter to ranchers, as they don't personally see the money.

It's very controversial, locally.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Andrew RichardTo Kelly IniguezInteresting, we thought it was the Tour Divide race which is few riders and very spread out by that point. Thanks for sharing.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Kelly Iniguezhttps://coloradosun.com/2024/01/07/sbt-grvl-race-ranchers-clash/?fbclid=IwY2xjawFOfrdleHRuA2FlbQIxMAABHZXfJr3UcNV8zmjLSVE79F9dEhAn1rVpt4L1GsyFxnIOYW0KJusgsSaaCQ_aem_rMIVN8fxGncsUyBe9uI4pg

Here's the article, should you have the time or inclination. It did say that the ranchers have no problem with individual riders.

I'm really enjoying following along with you.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago

On the final 30 km that was mostly road the skies opened a bit with rain and there was thunder in the distance. Peter warned me that storms are common in Colorado in the afternoons. I decided against the rain coat because it was buried. When we made the campground it was after 6 and there was no attendant. It was raining still so we made dinner under the group shelter and then found a spot just before dark. 

Today wasn’t a memorable day for riding but we added a lot of elevation and distance to the total. The scenery is really nice by the campground so hopefully tomorrow will be great.

Highlights:

-hospitality at the ranch

-scenery by the campground

Distance - 118 km / 1470 m elevation gain 

Today's ride: 118 km (73 miles)
Total: 2,562 km (1,591 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Kelly IniguezThe rule probably won't work for you -but I try to be off of the top of the mountain by noon-1 PM to avoid the afternoon storms, which are frequently accompanied by thunder/lightning.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago