Banff to the US Border Map (Section 1: 326 kilometers). - Shifting gears on the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route. - CycleBlaze

August 19, 2024

Banff to the US Border Map (Section 1: 326 kilometers).

This section of the ride is 326 km and we hope to get to the border after approximately 3 days of riding. The elevation profile for the start of our adventure is actual favourable with manageable elevation gain the first day (800 m over 100 km). The next few days are mostly downhill will some smaller climbs.

However, I've learned through experience that looking at distance and elevation on paper is one thing and riding it is a completely different thing. There are many things that can influence the speed you can travel. There is a huge difference in riding on flat pavement versus riding on hard packed gravel versus loose gravel. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

And elevation gain is also highly variable. There are some hills that are literally too steep to ride up so you have to get off your bike and push (hike-a-bike). You can also climb gradually at a 2% rail grade and cover significant elevation without really noticing it. 

On our recent ride on Pender Island for example we were riding on pavement (easy) but the hills were steep and sustained. This required a significant amount of energy for a sustained duration.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0