Naka Cave in Phu Langka National Park - The sixteenth step ... From Bác Hồ to กรุงเทพมหานคร - CycleBlaze

October 21, 2024

Naka Cave in Phu Langka National Park

The sun had hardly risen and we were on the bikes cycling to Phu Langka National Park.   We weren't yet sure whether we would climb up to the cave or whether we would just do sone birdwatching in the park.  But when we arrived at the Park entrance we got so carried away by the enthusiasm of the local tourists getting ready to climb the mountain that we just joined in.   

The trail follows rock faces that look like snake scales culminating in a rather disappointing cave and a rock that is taken to be the snake's head.  The whole point, it seems, of hiking up to the Naka Cave  is to pray at various special places along the route.  None of that was particularly meaningful for us but all along the way the locals kept engaging with us, with a surprising amount of English being spoken, that we felt part of the proceedings. 

After almost four hours of stiff walking we arrived back at the park entrance.  Ultimately the birding was disappointing but it didn't matter because we had such a good time doing the hike.

Much of the climb is on steep stairways.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Interspersed with some gentle hiking.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The rocks' surfaces are formed by irregular cooling.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The final staircase.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The view from the top.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More tortoise than snake at this point.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The entrance to Naka Cave.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Coiled body of the snake at the cave.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of a number of poses Leigh was press ganged into assuming.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Various Buddhist holy places along the way.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Three bangs on the gong for good luck.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The snake's head. Leigh submitting to the required pose once again.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Back to the Mekong tomorrow. 

Today's ride: 20 km (12 miles)
Total: 1,219 km (757 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0