Mukdahan - The sixteenth step ... From Bác Hồ to กรุงเทพมหานคร - CycleBlaze

October 13, 2024

Mukdahan

No rush today, the cycling really only starts again tomorrow.  

This morning's Pa Tong Go was fresh out of the wok.
Heart 0 Comment 0

 A few kilometers to the border, the crossing of which which took a lot longer on the Laos side than we expected, largely because we weren't allowed to cycle across the bridge.  Instead we had to take a bus for which we had to wait. 

Looking up the Mekong from the bus as we crossed into Thailand.
Heart 1 Comment 0

 Getting through  the Thai passport control was quick and easy and from there it was ten kilometers down the river to Mukdahan.  We cycled down to the waterfront and found a restaurant to enjoy some lunch because it was still too early to check in at the hotel we had booked.

In the  evening we headed back to the waterfront again, to enjoy a beer and some supper.  Today is public holiday in memory of the late King Bhumibol Adulyadej, the foorder and much loved king of Thailand so there were celebrations on the go near the river.

Looking up the river to the Friendship Bridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Across the river to Savannakhet.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Folk gathering to celebrate the late King.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sone elaborate temples, this one with a beautiful gold leaf covered Buddha.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beer Chang and Sprite (pronounced "spy" in Thailand) for Leigh's shandy. Served with ice, of course.
Heart 1 Comment 0

It feels good to be back in Thailand again.

Today's ride: 23 km (14 miles)
Total: 911 km (566 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0