Quảng Trị - The sixteenth step ... From Bác Hồ to กรุงเทพมหานคร - CycleBlaze

October 5, 2024

Quảng Trị

To all intents and purposes,  today was a rest day.  We had a late lie in followed by breakfast with more relaxing before checking out of the hotel at about ten o'clock. 

Quảng Trị was less then fifteen kilometers further south and we only had one point of interest to visit.

The Quảng Trị Citadel was only built in 1809 but is seemingly referred to as being ancient.   It was built by the Emperor Gio Long, the founding emperor of the Nguyễn dynasty.  It is mostly remembered as the site of the Second Battle of Quảng Trị in 1972 which lasted eighty one days with the southern forces ultimately winning back control of the city.  The citadel was destroyed in the process. 

A modern pagoda adjacent to the ancient citadel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The site is now a Special National Site and is used for patriotic events and education. This group of women was giving it the full treatment while we were there.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We've got a nice hotel just south if the town with a nice noodle restaurant right next door.  From here it's a short hop to Huế tomorrow.

Today's ride: 19 km (12 miles)
Total: 780 km (484 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0