Tergnier to Pēronne - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 9 - CycleBlaze

July 25, 2024

Tergnier to Pēronne

Somme like it hot.

We’re up before the camp is stirring and breakfasting in the salle de detente. The detente is fairly cordiale as we have most things we need- coffee,  meusli and yogurt-  and power! We chat to the Mancunian woman who is in the site next to us in a campervan. They’re on their way to Tours. She emphasises the proximity of France to Manchester and a good escape from the ‘rainy city’.

The salle de detente.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today is one of those when your expectation of ā challenging ride turns out to be quite the opposite. The route has a brief stint on the  Canal de Saint-Quentin at the start and then small roads with minimal traffic but good surface for speed. The heat of the day increases but we have some shady spots too. Signage for the V30 is great but there’s also, coming up, the V32 which doesn’t follow the canal, but crosses many of the WW1 battle locations.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Water, water everywhere….
Heart 1 Comment 0
Flavy le Martel. There’s a distinctly Flemish influence developing.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
There’s a continuing variation of landscape.
Heart 0 Comment 0


France Velo Tourism has a very good stage by stage description of this route. The towns all come up quite quickly. There are Art Deco features in the buildings at Mennessis and Frières.  The route continues via the Etangs de Saint-Simon. Ham is the first town of significance.

Art deco with a touch of Dutch gable?
Heart 2 Comment 0
Washing day.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Ham comes up nicely signposted on cycle route.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And the sign is on crossroads - so here’s the X to go with the Ham.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There’s a clear change continuing in architectural styles and materials. Reminds us of Belgium.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More heavily industrialised agriculture.
Heart 0 Comment 0


At Ollezy we stop for a break at an attractive church square and indulge in half a pain au raisin.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The scent of the lavender is wonderful.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Roses are blooming in Picardy
Heart 0 Comment 0
Water on all sides.
Heart 0 Comment 0

By lunchtime we’re halfway to Pēronne and stop in front of the magnificent Hotel de France for a break. The hotel, sadly, is defunct, but hasn’t yet got that completely abandoned look, though I note the flower boxes, still under the windows are trailing strands of now dead plants.

Heart 0 Comment 0
These stately buildings speak of an age gone by, although not really so long ago.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We know our onions.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tilting at windmills
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wind turbines are a relatively common feature of this landscape.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Later in the day, after Hombleux, with about 25 kilometres to go, we are back on the canal which takes us all the way to Pēronne.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Barges are loaded from these hoppers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Close!
Heart 1 Comment 0

We arrive at about 3:30pm - the 60+ kilometres plus lunch has passed in about five hours. Camping at Pēronne looks good and within a few hours, we are set up, showered and eating burgers in the cafeteria while our phones charge. Before the end of our dinner, the rain comes but it makes little difference to our slumbers.

Today's ride: 68 km (42 miles)
Total: 1,314 km (816 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0