Tenterten to Tunbridge Wells - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 9 - CycleBlaze

August 5, 2024

Tenterten to Tunbridge Wells

A day of undulations

We’ll start by saying Sustrans 18 protected us from busy roads and heavy traffic, for which we are eternally grateful. Generally the route was well signposted, though sharp eyes were needed for a couple of turns.

The drawbacks, and it seems almost churlish to mention them in view of the fact we had a safe day, are that the small hills of Kent make for continuous sharp climbs and rapid descents, and taking a cautious approach to descent is critical if potholes lurking in the shadows are to be avoided. Shops and cafes are only to be found if one is prepared to digress to a nearby village. Still, one shouldn’t expect coffee carts around every corner.

It’s another lovely Kent day, and we figure we have about 50 kilometres to go before reaching Royal Tunbridge Wells. This will all be on good old Sustrans Route 18. After a short burst on the truck and car ravaged A262, with pulses racing, we pull off and onto route 18, a haven of peace and quiet.

 

Heart 2 Comment 0

We vow to have coffee and breakfast at the first opportunity. Unfortunately, as mentioned, this route is another wilderness experience with coffee carts, village cafes and even villages, requiring off piste pedalling. While praising aloud the lack of commercial distraction we secretly harbour a desire for just a single break with the rules. What caffeine does to you!

Another peaceful lane on Sustrans 18.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Converted oast houses.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Wait - in the distance hope beckons. - closed!

Heart 0 Comment 0

We eventually come across a pub which can do coffee but no food because it’s Monday and chef’s off. We enjoy the coffee and the break, even if it is in the horsey area.

Heart 2 Comment 0
The phone booth on the right is now a book giveaway repository.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This kind of incline was par for the course, and had us walking a couple of times.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We stop and have lunch at the entrance to a section of forest. It’s lunchtime for staff too, and we chat to a couple of them.

We have a pleasant section through the forest.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

The route continues with undulations for quite a distance, passing through no villages of significance until we reach Pembury. The hills have lessened by now and the route to Royal Tunbridge Wells is  very straightforward as there’s a cycle lane most of the way, with a bit of footpath cycling added in.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Before moving on to Tunbridge though, we celebrate with some cold refreshment at a pub before Pembury. 

Heart 1 Comment 0

We approach our accommodation, the Tunbridge Wells Hotel, over the railway bridge and then onto the famous Pantiles. These are from before Regency days- 1699. They are one inch thick square tiles made from heavy  clay from the Weald. They were shaped in a wooden pan before firing and so got the name "pan-tiles".

The Hotel people are very accommodating and put our bikes away securely, while we sort out the luggage. It’s been a long day and we have a cold dinner, deciding to have a look at the Pantiles in the morning light.

Today's ride: 52 km (32 miles)
Total: 1,767 km (1,097 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0