Steckborn to Hohentengen - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 9 - CycleBlaze

July 7, 2024

Steckborn to Hohentengen

The Rhine falls, we go up.

We start the day in rain, but by breakfast, it’s starting to tail off. The campground provides a great breakfast and again there’s a friendly atmosphere in the breakfast room with families and travellers all sharing in the available fare.

Early morning - not promising, but the scouts are practicing water rescues.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The route is very straightforward along the river. The goal is Schafhausen though we don’t want to go to the Rhine Falls again. The directions here are a little confusing but eventually Komoot puts us on a route that goes high above the falls and all of the sightseers down below.

In-line rollers.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cherries and stone fruit along here
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Rhine begins to narrow.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We continue this route, climbing high after Nohl, and descending again towards the river. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Excellent signage.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The trail weaves through small hamlets.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Covered bridge Diesenhofen
Heart 3 Comment 0
From the bridge
Heart 2 Comment 0
Schaffhausen
Heart 1 Comment 0
View from Schaffhausen
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rhine Falls from a distance.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We decide to stop at the campground at Hohentengen. This we do, and here we find a camping spot in a meadow a close to the river. There are several cycle tourers there and we chat to a retired couple from Southampton who are heading for the Danube and, they hope, the Black Sea. They have bikes made to order that look pretty rugged. There’s also a group of young chaps who are doing river activities of some sort- it seems to involve walking upstream and floating back . At the rate the river is moving, and with the height it’s at, it looks challenging.

The facilities are nearby and work well- good showers and a place for cooking. Alles gut. We eat, shower and because it’s been an exhausting day, we’re off to sleep to the sound of the babbling brook running into the swiftly flowing Rhine at the bottom of the meadow.

Today's ride: 57 km (35 miles)
Total: 541 km (336 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0