Rupt to Lac du Der - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 9 - CycleBlaze

July 19, 2024

Rupt to Lac du Der

2 Canals, a Lake and lots of mozzies.

The sun hasn’t warmed up the day as we leave Rupt, but there’s already quite heavy traffic abroad and we find our way back to the canal at Joinville. Before leaving we thank our host Corinne, as it’s been a relaxing stay and the accommodation provided us with plenty of space. She tells me that they like holidaying in Bretagne. It seems like the coast, and beaches must be the favourite haunt of the French in summer, and recalling all of the kilometres of beach front we’ve cycled past on other trips, I see why.

Heart 1 Comment 0

We farewell this town with its high steeple, heading for Lac du Der, the largest man made lake in France (1974) built to control flooding on the Seine, near Paris. 
  On the canal, life remains very quiet and seemingly remote unless one ventures into one of the villages close by. 

Joinville with the spire of Notre-Dame dela Nativitē.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The canal is beside us and often the River Marne is only metres away.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
The canal goes on- as do we.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Marne runs fast and clear.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The race for St Dizier is easy going and we’ve racked up 30 plus kilometres before we know it. There’s a change of scenery and a change of direction at St Dizier as we switch to the canal running out to Lac du Der. The day has become very hot and the cycle path is quite exposed as it runs alongside the canal. There are quite a few local and holiday cyclists as well as a bunch of school children on the path, but the disappear as we make progress towards the lake. All the time above us the French Air Force jets roar over as they practice circuits and tactics alā Topgun. 

Open and hot.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We’ve been concerned about how we’ll get food for the lake, when we spot the turn off for Ēclaron. Here, like an oasis in the desert, we find a boulangerie and a Proxi. After a boulangerie visit, we find a shady corner and immediately consume two cans of Orangina and a small pizza square. The town’s centre features a number of external Tudor style half timber framed buildings which look quite dramatic.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
The lake - at last!
Heart 2 Comment 0


From here, it’s full on to the lake, a few kilometres away. We check into the campground at Courneē and get our tent up in a shady spot. After a late lunch, when a disturbing presence of mosquitoes begins to make itself felt, we head to the nearest beach for a swim. The water is cooling and fairly clear, though running through my mind are the kilometres of canal water we’ve been cycling along these past days. After,  there’s a very cold shower of clean water to cool us off even more.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

After dinner beside our tent we opt for an early night before the mozzies get too active. I’ve managed to charge up phones on our solar panel, and so a perusal of the latest family news is possible, as well as a listen to an audiobook yarn.

Today's ride: 52 km (32 miles)
Total: 1,020 km (633 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0