Royal Tunbridge Wells to Tonbridge. - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 9 - CycleBlaze

August 6, 2024

Royal Tunbridge Wells to Tonbridge.

Journey’s End

We take a leisurely approach to our final 15 kilometres, enjoying a coffee and breakfast on the terrace in front of the hotel. It’s really a very pleasant early morning scene,  quiet and surrounded by beautiful Georgian and Victorian buildings. The suns up, but the large umbrellas provide cool shade.

Breakfast on, or near, the Pantiles.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Breakfast over, we wheel our bikes down the Pantiles enjoying looking at the various buildings lining the arcade. We came here back in the days of our twenties OE, (Overseas Experience) and I remember the black and white buildings then. 

Further down are some interesting shops. One has a display of the orange covered Penguin editions of novels and I have a chat with the shop owner about how bookshelves made to accommodate paperbacks  this size, will no longer fit any of today’s paperbacks , should one want to keep them. He commiserates, saying he has the same problem.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Georgian on my mind.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Found Penguins.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Finding the way back to the Tunbridge to Tonbridge cycle way is relatively easy, as we came down this hill yesterday. Until the turnoff we are on a path shared with pedestrians on one side, us on the other.

Heart 0 Comment 0

A left turn off the main road, and we’re on the cycleway where all is quiet and green. The track runs downhill and for a second we wonder if it’s going to finish at the expressway. But no ! - Lo and behold, there’s the bridge we are assured exists by Komoot. It takes us up and over the motorway and onto a beautiful asphalt cycleway, as good as anything we’ve experienced in France.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Where is that bridge?
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bridge to Tonbridge.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We’re conflicted a little- eager to meet Rosie, our new granddaughter, and reluctant for our trip to finally end. Distraction comes in the form of the blackberries lining the path. Kent is supposedly ‘The Garden of England’ and these blackberries are fully ripe. We fill a plastic container and continue on our way to journey’s end in Tonbridge. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Blackberry picking.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Through the front gate and around the back and we’re done. It’s a long way from our start in Munich, it’s warmer, the language has changed and we’re with family again.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Rosie’s feeding but it’s not long before we’re holding her, the real,  living presence we’ve thought about so often on this trip.

Heart 4 Comment 3
Kathleen JonesYay! At last. What a cutie. The grands too.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Michael HutchingThanks Kathleen- I guess going the long way round creates more anticipation! Michael
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Scott AndersonBeautiful! Congratulations, 2x.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 15 km (9 miles)
Total: 1,782 km (1,107 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rich FrasierCongratulations on both the grandkid and finishing the ride! I've enjoyed following along!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Michael HutchingTo Rich FrasierThanks Rich. Been an interesting ride - rather different from our previous ones - seems to have been much more rural!
Cheers, Michael.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago