Reims to Lac Ailette. - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 9 - CycleBlaze

July 23, 2024

Reims to Lac Ailette.

From the city to the lake.

Leaving our Reims apartment.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We’re up early, breakfasted and coffeed, and looking forward to the challenge of positioning ourselves, eventually, for The Somme cycle route.
Today we’re heading northwest to take us eventually in the direction of Amiens. The route is a little tricky after the straight forward canal rides, but Komoot seems to have it sussed. We start on the route by heading from our apartment straight up the Avenue de Laon  to the Canal of the Aisne āla Marne. The canal has a path that is mainly grass and difficult to ride on, so instead we take the D944 . This is busy, with some trucks, but has a good shoulder.

This isn’t going to work!
Heart 3 Comment 0


We stay on this road to the sign for Courcy where we make a relieved right turn down to pick up the canal path again, and which now, magically, has a beautifully sealed surface.

It’s a relaxing ride and we’re able to chat as we pedal along. On our right, there a a few vessels using the canal, including large barges picking up grain. Even the onset of gentle rain doesn’t ruin the mood.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Escaping the rain.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Remains of a destroyed village.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then it’s the end of the canal route which puts us back on the road for a few kilometres.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
End of the canal path.
Heart 1 Comment 0

 At Berry au Bac a wonderful food cooking smell wafts on the air as we pass ‘The restaurant of the Maire.’ We decide it’s time for lunch. And indeed it is. The set menu of Guinea fowl and other delights is what we go for.

The restaurant we can’t pass up.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 1
Scott AndersonThanks for showing us this. After nine weeks in the UK so far, we’ve started fantasizing about French cuisine. Four more weeks!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago

We leave about an hour later quite replete. The crème brûlée at the end was a heavenly experience. Not so heavenly is the next four kilometres on quite a busy road, until we turn off onto a tiny road with no traffic that takes us in the direction of Vauclair, where the ruined Abbey is, and onto a Voie verte that runs beside the lake and takes us to a village where we have accommodation.

Once off the busy road, we’re crossing massive open fields of wheat and beets
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

At Vauclair we reach the ruined abbey. It brings back memories of Tintern Abbey though it’s not quite so ethereal and Gothic. All the same, it has a presence and raises thoughts of what life must have been like long ago.

Vauclair Abbey.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
A notice warning of toxic hairy caterpillars.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

The last part of our day’s journey takes us onto the Voie verte, and then quickly to where we’re staying. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We’re tired-  though the distance was ā reasonable 50 kilometres today, coping with the roads and traffic as well as our grand boeuf has had its toll.

Today's ride: 54 km (34 miles)
Total: 1,198 km (744 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Rich FrasierThose big French lunches are sometimes a challenge to the body. Especially on warm afternoons. Great pictures!!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Scott AndersonI’m enjoying following along here. For all the times we’ve been to France, this is a corner we’ve never explored.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Michael HutchingThanks Scott- just don’t overdo the canals. Lots in these parts. Interested in your Wales cycling- we have friends we always visit in Montgomery and cycled down there in 2016. Also Hadrians Wall- found it a misty place in parts, but a relief from UK heat in 2018. Safe travels, Michael.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago