Oy to Oberstaufen - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 9 - CycleBlaze

July 2, 2024

Oy to Oberstaufen

Climbs at the start then down into the valley.

The day starts with a civilised breakfast in our digital hotel. Meusli, yoghurt and good coffee with milk. Followed by tea with milk. Europeans seem to be latching on to the benefits of a well made cup of tea, but some of the refinements such as milk still escape them. As for a teapot….

We’re packed and out by 10:00am, heading through Oy to find the turn off to Rettenberg. Up we go for a bit until we see Oy and the motorway below.

High above the traffic
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Before Rettenberg we look into a village church. Its very baroque interior is quite confronting early in the morning but it’s beautiful in its own way, even if Romanesque and Gothic styles may be more to one’s taste.

Sts Peter and Paul
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

As the bells toll midday, we  find a bakery for brot rolls and a couple of very acceptable bargain basement croissants.

Heart 0 Comment 0

From Rettenberg we head towards Immenstadt. The trail has one or two hills but after Rettenberg the valley is flat though we are surrounded by massive peaks, most emerging from the mist now. The River Iller is running at capacity as we cross it just before Immenstadt. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Any chance of a hazy IPA?
Heart 0 Comment 0
The valley opens out.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Immenstadt is quite a stately little town with pretty old buildings. We find a kebab restaurant with lots of foliage outside and stop for lunch.

Kebab central.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Market square
Heart 1 Comment 1
Karen PoretCafe’ Bistro Relax ..🙄
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The town has lots of sculptures and statues reflecting local life and traditions.
Heart 3 Comment 0

From Immenstadt we take the path alongside the lake, Alpsee, for about ten kilometres, until, at the end, we cross to a cluster of houses and find Pension Sabine. 

Heart 4 Comment 0

 We check in, store our bikes in the garage and crash for a couple of hours before having a light tea and two cups of tea. Kebabs do that to you.

Today's ride: 41 km (25 miles)
Total: 335 km (208 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0