Munich Airport to Freising - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 9 - CycleBlaze

June 19, 2024

Munich Airport to Freising

Airport bike assembly

After a slightly nervous start at Auckland airport and juggling about with luggage because we are told we’re two kilograms overweight, our flight is very smooth. It starts at our normal bedtime so we sleep off and on for the first eight hours, then it’s about the same amount of time to Dubai, where we have a brief connecting wait.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 1
Karen PoretCan’t resist this pun..you are, indeed, going on a “giant trek”..:)
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
The weigh in!
Heart 3 Comment 0

After a further six hours flying, we touchdown at Munich airport - a smooth flight from Dubai’s unrelenting streams of travellers bent on finding gates and flights- like us in fact. The variety of uniforms on display at that airport is extensive and eye catching- from workers in hi viz to to security men (mainly)in military garb, chests bedecked with medal ribbons commemorating who knows what.

Last leg.
Heart 0 Comment 0

At Munich airport the passport control queue for Eu members is minimal and disappears quickly . For all the rest of us the queue is never ending and takes a good hour to crawl through. Oh how Brits must regret the madness of Brexit at such times. Maybe change is on the horizon. We chat with a couple of Aussies who are driving to Poland.

After a welcoming talk with the very pleasant young official behind the glass, we’re through,  and spot our bags and boxes easily. Then it’s outside to where we find a relatively quiet spot to start prising the boxes apart and assembling. It’s mid afternoon and a warm 24 degrees of sunshine and there are men striding about in tartan kilts and high spirits, shouting who knows what at each other. Scotland play Switzerland somewhere tonight. Let’s hope it’s a good result- for both sides!

The assembly process goes pretty smoothly - locating one or two vital tools takes stressful moments initially, but it turns out to all be in there somewhere. Once assembled, we load up. A little cold turkey this, because we didn’t really do a test run at home . Alles gut though,  and off we set to find the cycle path to Freising. It’s here somewhere. 


Heart 3 Comment 0
Loaded but not locked. Ready to go.
Heart 5 Comment 0

Ann has it covered and directs me eventually to where we discover it at the bottom of a set of steps with a cycle ramp. And there it is - a green sign to Freising- 9.5 kilometres. We’re on our way! The route is quite leafy and green too, and away from traffic.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Stairway to cycling heaven.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Under the flight path.
Heart 1 Comment 0


Soon we’re in Freising and checked in. Then it’s dinner in the restaurant and a  Dunkel wheat beer to share. Sleep comes quickly as the church bell across the way ceased its tolling at 9pm. 

Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 12 km (7 miles)
Total: 12 km (7 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Scott AndersonGood luck, folks! Hope it’s a great one.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Rich FrasierWelcome back! Looking forward to following along with you!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago