Lindau to Friedrichshafen - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 9 - CycleBlaze

July 4, 2024

Lindau to Friedrichshafen

Cycling beside the lake

Can there really be such a thing as a 12:00pm checkout? Ann tells me she’s positive that’s what she was told. Whatever the case, it’s heavenly since we don’t wake until 8:00am. Yesterday’s climbs must have had some impact! We’re able to ride to the nearby Aldi and buy enough for breakfast as well as some milk to have with our coffee. The Freising coffee is still lasting but getting to an end. How are we going to replace it?

Loading up our bikes in the Fahrradraum is a breeze - the door’s a good size for egress for a bike and two panniers and pretty soon we’re away. There are a couple of minor adjustments needed to our bikes but we’ll have to choose the right time. Ann’s saddle has too much movement in it and my rear brake needs its return spring fixed.

12:00pm checkout from the fahrradraum
Heart 1 Comment 0

For today though, it’s an easy ride close to the lake edge on the cycle trail. Firstly we stop at Lindau for a look about.

Heart 3 Comment 0
The interiors of the two churches standing side by side couldn’t be more different. The Lutheran is peaceful greens and whites while the Catholic I almost wildly baroque.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Famous faces billboard - Lola Montez got up to quite a lot of mischief in ā relatively short life.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
The Lindau Lighthouse.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
We managed to persuade a young woman to take a celebratory shot- Munich to Bodensee.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Rich FrasierThat’s worth celebrating!! Congratulations!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago


The bulk of our 40 plus kilometres continues on flat paths, shared roads and some gravel. It’s easy going, but there are lots of e-bikes whirring suddenly from behind. We bio bike riders may think we’re a little holier than thou, but it’s lost on them. There’s quite a number of organised groups both going our way and coming at us.

Along the shoreline are piles of timber fished from the lake- clearly much has come down from the Bavarian hills in recent storms. Leisure yachts must be at pains to avoid these enormous logs. A similar situation has occurred in NZ with recent floods. Beaches on the East Coast of the North Island have been densely covered in what’s referred to as ‘slash’.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

The path also has allotments and orchards alongside- cherries and strawberries being the ready fruit just now.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

We stop for lunch beside the water. We have about 15 kilometres to Friedrichshafen, however, once there, we need to go a further 8 kilometres to reach the place we are staying near Meerburg. 

Once we have been welcomed in, we take a short walk to a local store and buy enough for dinner and a bottle of cold ‘Lagerbier Hell’. It’s heavenly. There’s a picture of a slightly rueful looking monk on the label. Perhaps he overindulged. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

We cook in the kitchen and eat at the table in our room. From our window we have a view of the lake as the sun sets. It all looks calm out there. What will tomorrow bring?

Today's ride: 45 km (28 miles)
Total: 441 km (274 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0