Kembs to Besancon - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 9 - CycleBlaze

July 10, 2024

Kembs to Besancon

Ride, train, ride.

There’s no way around it- it’s wet. But still just the pattering wet that subsides from time to time. We pack quickly and head towards the cafe area. The campground owner kindly makes us two strong long blacks and we sit and try to plan the day. We want to head to Mulhouse and, yes, catch a train to Besancon. Should be easy. We have a place organised to stay In Besancon, so we should be able to organise the French leg, figuratively speaking, and get a couple of minor repairs done on our bikes. My rear brake lever doesn’t return to position- could be the cable, and Ann’s seat keeps coming loose- bolt on the post, think.

Travelling en famille.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Shelter on a wet morning.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The route to Mulhouse is ridiculously easy- in 2016 I spotted a Ragodin family disporting themselves on the shore, but no signs of them this morning. 

Fowl weather.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Tanks for the memories. A reminder of WW2.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A memorial commemorating, among other things, the role of African troops in the French army.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We’re into Mulhouse Central station before we know it- it’s virtually right on the cycle path. We park the bikes and Ann goes off to secure our ride. I’m back to leaning my bike on walls, since my stand dramatically broke in half when my bike fell over. I have a click stand but the smaller one is good if I get the balance right - which clearly, I didn’t when it broke! While waiting I observe the mix of humanity using the gare. It’s quite a mix all right. 

Ann has no trouble getting the tickets and we then find something to eat, share a terrible latte- like one of those coffees you get from cafeteria machines, and we sit and steam for a while. Outside, the sun is making an intermittent appearance.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Eventually the number for Belfort comes up - platform 7. Lift down, push bike to next lift-go up. Easy, though I have to sit my bike on its rear wheel and hold the front one in the air. Not too difficult, even with a fully laden bike- just need to get the balance right. We wheel on board and sit and relax. No one checks tickets. Last year, I recall, we were checked frequently. 

It’s a relaxing ride until Belfort where we  have 8 minutes to change trains. It proves ok though, with a large lift and only one descent. Once on the Besancon train, we doze until Gare Viotte. From here, we locate our apartment, wheel our bikes and luggage up two floors, futilely manipulate the lock box until we check the emails and  discover a new code, and Voila, we are in. Such relief. We collapse and eventually put together a cup of tea.

Later in the day we find Besancon Services Cycles. Once we explain what needs fixing, the technician very patiently and persistently works at getting Ann’s saddle fixed- and he manages to do so. They agree to fix my brake - new cable- if I leave the bike and pick it up tomorrow. 

All good. We return home and enjoy an excellent meal of rice, stir fry and pork. Once Ann has tamed the stove.

In the park.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Entrē.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 32 km (20 miles)
Total: 675 km (419 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0