Fussen to Oy! - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 9 - CycleBlaze

July 1, 2024

Fussen to Oy!

Big hills in Bavaria.

We wake to the sound of heavy rain pounding our tent fly. No leaks, so the waterproofing must have worked. It looks as though there will be a break about 10:00am but we don’t want to wait that long. So we pack our panniers and bags in the tent and  then  pack the tent itself. By now the rain has all but stopped. At the Reception Ann wrangles with the office lady about getting a refund for the two days we are not using. No, no and no. It’s a standoff and we’re getting nowhere. We leave feeling hard done by although I acknowledge they have a right to charge for a reservation.

Soon we’re headed on a good path towards Rieden. There’s a bit of up and down but manageable. We head down to the Hopsee where we stop for a breakfast of coffee and strudel at an Italian cafē. Allora! All very reviving.  The seefront at the lake has a few morning cyclists out doing a burst or two in the overcast air. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Hundertvasser is a NZ art icon and is buried in Kawakawa. He haunts us a bit. We visited the toilets he designed in Kawakawa and then in 2019, identified a building with the hallmarks of his style, in Vienna. I wonder if the musical makes any NZ references?
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

From here we head to Hopferau and start to climb. Some wonderful views though not without the pain.

‘These woods are lovely, dark and deep…’ German woods conjure up reminders of fairy tales. Some a bit grim.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0


The climbing goes on, and on, and on. In the end we’re walking. We’re not even sure if we reach the top we’re so whacked, but the views tell the story.

Heart 2 Comment 0
The path swoops and ascends across great swathes of green countryside.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

The downhill flight is a relief and soon we’re flying into Nesselwang. Here we find a cafe in a supermarket and indulge in one of those wurst in brot with mustard :Leberkassesemnel.
The saltiness, ordinarily to be avoided, is a real pickup. We also buy supplies for the place we’re staying in at Oy.

Heart 0 Comment 0

From here, the ride to Oy is reasonably straightforward but not without its challenges. We have more hills and we’re on small country roads. We cross a river then a motorway and find the sign to Oy up a gravel path that has us walking our bikes for a few metres past a school and sports ground with children and parents busy with games and having fun. 

The day ends in sunshine, but the wind is still cool.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0


Finally it’s Oy. I’m puzzled as to how it’s pronounced and should google it but I like the idea that it’s like Harry Enfield in ‘The Fast Show’ when he did his Self Righteous Brothers take off. ‘Oi no!’ Perhaps not.
Ann has booked a digital hotel which I fear will be like those ghastly Formula One places. But no. Though it’s on the outskirts, it’s easy to find, nearly new, clean and incredibly well set up with a big fridge freezer, hot plate, brilliant shower.What’s more, the entrance experience works perfectly. We’re even able to fit our bikes inside easily, and nobody around to notice. 

Once in, we charge up, find the wifi, dry the tent, do the washing and look at Sky news for all of five minutes until the orange beast appears then switch off. Perfect.

Today's ride: 38 km (24 miles)
Total: 294 km (183 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Karen PoretOrange Beast..that’s a good one. At least in NZ he won’t be YOUR KING..
Reply to this comment
3 months ago