A Day out in Canterbury - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 9 - CycleBlaze

August 3, 2024

A Day out in Canterbury

Seeing the sights.

Ann’s decided to rest up her foot with an ice pack, so I’ve taken on the responsibility of being a tourist. It’s an easy downhill walk into the buzzing hub of the town. There are buildings of historical significance lining the walk to the Cathedral. At the bottom of our hill is St Dunstan’s church. 

St Dinstans.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Thomas Becket’s killing spread ripples further afield.
Heart 0 Comment 0


St Dunstans witnessed some interesting history. From here King Henry, having accepted responsibility for the death of  Thomas Becket, changed In sackcloth and did a penitential walk across town in torrential rain. Here too is entombed the head of Thomas More.

Thomas More's daughter Margaret gained the release of her father’s head from a spike on London Bridge and brought it back to the family tomb of her husband, William Roper. Just down the road is the facade of Roper’s house - a red brick edifice with a high gable. 

Wall painting on an underpass nearby .
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Once through the old city gates I’m on the pedestrian walkway. The street is buzzing and there’s a nice feeling for a Saturday morning. Eateries and cafes are doing great business and there are tourists like myself about too, if my ear for languages is correct.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Punts on the Stour.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The museum  and art gallery are all located in the same building and there’s also an exhibition about Aphra Behn, a woman who spied for England while living in 18th century France. She was rescued from living there in penury only after an appeal to the king, when her spymaster abandoned her.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The building has an art gallery and is also displaying an exhibition of fictional characters from the past.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

The killing of Thomas Becket has been a popular the subject for artistic expression.

Whether King Henry’s ‘Who will rid me of this meddlesome priest?’ was rhetorical or not, the knights acted on it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

As has Chaucer’s story of pilgrimage, The Canterbury Tales.

Wooden carvings of the Canterbury Tales characters.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The art works are a mix of relatively contemporary and older.

Hop Pickers in Kent.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Young girl at a high door.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Stolen Horse.
Heart 0 Comment 0

There’s also a description of the part Huguenots played in the history of Canterbury as silk weavers and haberdashers.

Persecution of Huguenots.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The Cathedral is the next drawcard. In contrast to France, entry is charged, but they provide a little more in the way of information. It’s a beautiful building, though I realise just how high the columns in Amiens were- Canterbury doesn’t look as high by comparison. The militaristic references around the walls seem a little at odds with the religious atmosphere, however they’re part of the tradition.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
In a bucolic setting.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Presumably they only used the cycles as transport rather than weaponry.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Rich FrasierIn a pinch, who knows?
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
That’s putting it politely.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The octagonal Water Tower is Romanesque style and is supported by a series of interwoven arches. It was designed and built to get a clean water supply to the priory buildings and dates back to the 12th century or earlier.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A memorial to horses used in war.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Rich Frasier8 MILLION horses?!?! Unbelievable!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
A beautiful old Plane tree.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The walled garden behind the Cathedral is where I finish my day.
This garden has a number of  Memorial Stones The central cross was inspired by the Cross of Sacrifice in Belgium, and shows the Crusader’s Sword, the Ship of Sea Power, and a wreath of roses and lilies. The ‘Khachkar’ cross, crafted from Armenian volcanic stone, commemorates the Armenian Genocide of 1914-1923. And the tall ‘Wilberforce Standing Stone’ reflects William WIlberforce’s contribution to the abolition of slavery. It’s quite a mix but I really like the quiet and the mix of flowers and shrubs.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

After a visit to Tescos for dinner supplies, I walk back up our hill, having enjoyed this solo adventure. Sight seeing on one’s own is definitely a different experience, but the feeling of independence is quickly developed,  and an unrestrained man in Tescos is something to be marvelled at by some and treated with caution by others.

We eat well on my dining choice and after I’ve described the day we plan tomorrow’s trip to Tenterten.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rich FrasierI’m rarely allowed to go shopping unrestrained. It sounds like you didn’t make a spectacle of yourself. I’m envious. :)
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Michael HutchingIt’s difficult to go too wild in Tescos Rich. Carrefour maybe….
Reply to this comment
2 months ago