On my way to Waterton: It was magical - The Really Long Way Round - CycleBlaze

May 24, 2016

On my way to Waterton: It was magical

I had a nice place to camp and I slept great. There was a frost on the tent in the morning, but I hadn't felt cold during the night and with clear blue skies it promised to be a glorious day. I set out cycling hard, still heading south, and determined to make a good distance and get close to Waterton Lakes National Park, so that I could camp just before it and go in and see it the following day. Fortunately cycling hard was not difficult, because I still had the wind behind me and the grassy plains were not too hilly now. To my right I could still see snowy peaks over the horizon. It was beautiful.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

The ride got even more beautiful come evening, as I neared my goal. Traffic had decreased to almost nothing, the fields were now an intense, lush, vibrant green, and ahead of me, getting larger by the minute, was a row of snowy mountains of exceptional beauty – Waterton Lakes National Park. The day drew towards a close with me still racing towards these peaks, and with the sun low in the sky it shone upon them, casting them in various hues ranging from sky blue to golden pink. This was as fine a cycling as you can imagine. It was magical.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

There was nowhere to camp though, and I was getting a little concerned about where I was going to lay my head for the night. But then I came to a lookout/rest area that had a wonderful view over the mountains, and I saw that there was already a little tent there, as well as a car, and an Englishman named Daniel. We said hello and exchanged our stories, his being that of a web designer come to live and work and travel across Canada. He told me he slept here last night without problems and it was such a nice spot, with such a good view, that of course I soon pitched my tent too.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 126 km (78 miles)
Total: 50,079 km (31,099 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0