Preparation and Packing - Racpat Scandinavia and the Baltics 2024 - CycleBlaze

Preparation and Packing

Two weeks to go

We fly out of Boise July 2, 2024 to Stockholm Sweden.

Patrick has a checklist for us to follow so packing is very organized, at least by Patrick, Rachel still struggles to follow the rules for the list.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Stacks of Swedish and Norwegian Krona, and some Euros. We asked for small bills and got lots of them....
Heart 0 Comment 0
Friends George and Nancy. George repairs Patrick's handlebar bag making it waterproof again. For our previous tours, George who built rafts, lengthened the bag so two camera bodies with lenses would fit.
Heart 0 Comment 0
After our training ride in Oregon, Wenda gave us whiskey and snicker bars treat on the road. Since our tour in 1999-2000 on the Carretera Austral, whiskey and snicker bars have become a tradition.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rachel is experimenting with drawing and watercoloring
Heart 3 Comment 1
Kathleen JonesRachel is *doing* great drawing and watercoloring.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Barb leads us in spin class that has helped keep us motivated and in a little bit of shape...."Let's go, let's go, you can do better than that"....is her mantra we hear on steep hills. Thanks Barb. Hi to the class.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bags are packed according to Patrick's checklist...we keep two back panniers as carryon for items we might need or don't want to pack or extra space for items should our check in bags are too heavy
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 2
Kathleen JonesIsn’t it great fun to do this, Rachel? I am looking forward to seeing all your art.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Kathleen JonesThanks for the encouragement Kathleen
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick waits to box the bikes until Wednesday before we leave. And just like that, we are all packed.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our friends Katherine and Brandon who just returned from 9month South America on a motorcycle tour have invited us for dinner 10 days before we leave. They will be off again before we return in September for Africa. They gave us the sign Bicycling...and we added the Rocks sign from our neighbor of 28 years, Virgil Rock who recently passed away.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Friends from California taking a Van tour came through on Thursday and stayed until Sunday. We first met them through Warmshowers when they stayed with us to ride the Idaho Hot Springs Loop. Lori had given us a name of a friend we meet up with in Morocco last year. 

Kim our great house/cat sitter came back on Friday of this past week and joins us.

One more fire in the backyard. Photo by Lori
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kim meets up with us on our Northern Tier ride 2021 at Glacier National Park.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Saturday before we leave, another tradition is dinner with friends Cynthia and Chris at Highland Hollow as Chris says, "a see you latter dinner." We'll have another tradition dinner with them here when we return.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The next night we have a BBQ dinner at Cynthia and Bob's. Rachel didn't take the camera for a photo, so, here's a picture of Cynthia and Bob seeing us off last year to Morocco.

Bob and Cynthia
Heart 0 Comment 0

Sunday before we leave we get a call from Dan that he will be here in Boise this afternoon. Patrick met Dan on his first Bike Centennial (Adventure Cycling) in 1989. Dan collects old bike parts and has given us many. He arrives in time to join us at Cynthia and Bob's and Kim joins us too.

Dan from Seattle
Heart 1 Comment 0

And there it is, Monday...we fly out tomorrow. We've arranged with a friend who does yard maintenance to flood irrigate for us once a week. Kim will mow the yard, manage our mail, and keep the cats social. Thanks Kim.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Our distance tree in the garden. We will have at least 7 countries to add at the end of this tour.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Mark BinghamThis is such a great idea!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensThanks, it was a covid project
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Tashi
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ocho
Heart 1 Comment 0
Miles
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0