Day 8: Vastland hiking shelter to Gavle - Racpat Scandinavia and the Baltics 2024 - CycleBlaze

July 9, 2024

Day 8: Vastland hiking shelter to Gavle

Lots of Cykelsparet signs

“Hi, I’m from France,” the touring cyclist stops to talk with us. Steven started in Turkey cycled to the Northcape and is now heading home to France. “I cycled 850km in 5 days, in Stockholm I’ll take a rest.” This is refreshing that he stopped to talk as it’s not always a given these days. In the past, cyclists in the opposite direction stopped to talk with each other for information. That has changed over the years.

Today is a shorter day, and a Warmshowers stay in Gavle. The host sent us a video last night of how to get into the apartment as they will not be home until after 5pm.  We are on the road at about 0700 after a quick breakfast. We are on a nice forest road at first then to a main road. We keep seeing little signs with a bicycle and cykelsparet. So we must be on some bike route at least part of the time. And a big chunk of the ride today is on bike paths or a road with a wide shoulder.

Husqvarna makes chain saws
Heart 5 Comment 3
Björn SundströmAnd they used to make very good bikes. And many other things. But the bikes from the 50s are really nice.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
petra HugensIn the Netherlands we only know this brand from their sewingmachines
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Jacquie GaudetIn Canada, it's chainsaws and sewing machines. I even have one (not a chainsaw)! I had no idea about bicycles...
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another long straight road with wide shoulders.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bike path
Heart 2 Comment 0

We stop at a gas station for coffee and pastry. Rachel asks for the key to the toilet. “I do it,” says the man behind the counter. She goes around outside and the toilet is now open…he unlocked it where he was inside. Pretty slick.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Our first touring cyclist we see. From France, cycled Turkey to Northkapp and heading back to France
Heart 4 Comment 0
"My name is Steven, and Vouac is "Camping wild", the French cyclist explains.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

In Gavle we stop for a Thai lunch buffet that is good value for 125 kroner each, about $12,50. After camping at shelters the past two nights, we did not hold back.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Just a bit further we find our WS place, the video being very helpful. We make ourselves at home, showering and doing laundry. There is no dryer, but the sun is out and a drying rack will do nicely. There is Wi-Fi and electricity to get all our devices and powerbank recharged.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Carlos from Spain and Camilla from Colombia.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Dinner with the neighbors
Heart 2 Comment 0

Dessert is a bowl of watermelon set in the middle of the tablet for everyone to take a piece at will. Then, only one piece is left leading to a discussion about how no one wants to take the last piece. In Sweden, it's know as the "Swedish Bite", the person to take the last piece would be looked upon as being better than anyone else. Carlos says in Spain it is called the "Shame piece". 

Much discussion about the last piece.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Getting ready for the first semi-final of Euro24: Spain vs France.
Heart 0 Comment 0
End of the game: Happy Spaniards.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 51 km (32 miles)
Total: 300 km (186 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0