Day 5: Vira Lake to Norrtalje - Racpat Scandinavia and the Baltics 2024 - CycleBlaze

July 6, 2024

Day 5: Vira Lake to Norrtalje

Meeting up with Lars

“I do like the red and white color of the houses,” Patrick says. “I do too, but thought a coastal country would have the bright blue color more” Rachel replies. Patrick adds “when we go farther north, the colors will brighten. I also like the yellow color of some houses.”

We pack up, even though Patrick heard very light occasional rain during the night, nothing is wet. We have muesli and drinkable yogurt with added banana and coffee. The drinkable yogurt was by accident, we are still trying to figure out what regular full milk is in Sweden. We have figured out the “mjolk” part, but there are many different kinds. Later Lars advises us to just look at the color of the carton: red should do it. The road continues to be rolling and well paved and rolling past forests with hay fields. We don’t see any cattle, and wonder if the cows are kept in barns.

When we reach Bergshamra we stop at the gas station for coffee and to fill our water bottles. Patrick uses the break time to text our location to Lars, he responds that he is leaving Norrtalje now. He has given us a route, a forest road from Hysingvik north that is unsealed. He replies, “if you’ve not seen me, wait at the northern end of that road.”

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We are looking for an unsealed road and see one that is “privat” so we continue on, only realizing that we must have missed the road. Returning back to that road, we see the street sign “Lucktorpsvagen”. That’s it.

It’s a decent gravel road, through the forest. Then we see Lars coming toward us. It’s so great to see him again. In 2011, he and Helen, a Brit, stayed with us through Warmshowers when the were cycling the Americas. Lars is The Lost Cyclist and quite the adventurer. He connected us to Bjorn in Stockholm through a bike site. He also knows Anders who we will meet up again in a week.

We keep going through the forest and then reach a junction. “We can go back to the busy road, or we can continue on here, but there will be a place we have to lift the bikes over a gate, and then a short section of single track,” Lars suggests. “I’m up for an adventure,” Rachel says and Patrick agrees. Given a choice of a busy road and a quieter road, we will pick the quieter road even with challenges.

When we get to the gate, it’s easy enough for us to roll our bikes at a slant under the gate. The road is rolling in places and the single track is doable for us. Rachel walks a small section.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 1
Scott AndersonFunny. I just posted a photo of this plant a few days ago also. meadowsweet, I think.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
We see Lars coming toward us.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We slant our bikes enough to get under the gate
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Then we get to the single track
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
The next obstacle is a gate that we have to unload the bikes to get through
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

“While taking ferryboats is a great way out of city, nothing is better than a guide into a city,” Rachel says as we get settled in Lars apartment. Included in his rent is the use of the laundry room at a specific time of the day. We clean up and catch up with the journal and pictures. At 3pm, Lars shows Rachel the laundry room. The machines are automatic including the soap. Back in the apartment, Lars sets the alarm for when the washing will be done, then goes back and places the clothes in the drier. This is nice, Patrick wasn’t too certain if the Swedes had driers. In Holland, it’s uncommon.

When clothes are done, we walk to the city center to look around, then, we circle back to the larger supermarket. We buy only a few things for tomorrow, our route will take us through towns where we can stock up before finding another shelter for the night.

The evening is watching football, first England against Switzerland, then the late game for Holland versus Turkey starting at 2100. This is late for us, but it’s a very important game for Patrick. The Turks score first, but in the second half the Dutch equalize and eventually pull out victory for Holland.

The apartment is a one room studio in nicely remodeled old military barracks. Lars has decided he will give us privacy, he has packed up his backpack to camp in the forest nearby. He says he does this quite often.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 2
Kathleen JonesGreat shot of art in progress
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Kathleen JonesThanks Kathleen for the encouragement.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Lars is off to camp in the forest nearby
Heart 0 Comment 0

Memory Lane, 2011. Lars and Helen stay with us through Warmshowers.  Dan also happens to be here in town just like the day before we took off on this tour. We all go to Bar Grenika, a Basque restaurant.

Helen, a Brit and Lars in 2011
Heart 0 Comment 0
We take them to dinner at Bar Grenika...Dan is also visiting us.
Heart 1 Comment 3
Miles GoffMore adventures! Two questions you:

Lars looks like he's riding a combined 26er/29er is that just the photo or has he really got a big wheel at the back?

Is that Helen Lloyd in your pic from 2011?
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Miles GoffWe'll have to ask Lars about the wheel size. You're right that in one photo they seem different....
Yes, that is Helen. We first met her at home through Warmshowers, then met again on our RTW in Capetown. How do you know her?
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Miles GoffTo Rachel and Patrick HugensHelen is infamous (in a good way) in certain circles here. I don't know her personally just by reputation that she's a complete headbanger.

Solo accross Africa, winter cycle touring in Scandinavia and then a RTW on a motorbike IIRC.

She popped up on a cycle forum I use when she was stranded in Africa having worn her Rohloff drive sprocket down to a ninja death star and not knowing how to resolve it.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 41 km (25 miles)
Total: 95 km (59 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 0