Day 21: Leaving Trondheim on the MS Nordkapp - Racpat Scandinavia and the Baltics 2024 - CycleBlaze

July 22, 2024

Day 21: Leaving Trondheim on the MS Nordkapp

On the Hurtigruten

“We are in no hurry, check out is at 1100,” Patrick says, then adds, “the boat arrives at 0945 and sails at 1245.”  We have breakfast of cereal in the room then head out to shop for food. The grocery store surprisingly opens at 0700, in Sweden it could be 0900 before stores open. The day is a misty gray. What a difference a day makes.

We pick up groceries, then walk to the bakery for pastry and bread to eat on the boat.  We have repacked to be able to just take a front and back pannier to the cabin. So the food takes an additional repacking. We shuttle the bikes by stairs and the gear on the elevator and load the bikes in the lobby.

There is a light drizzle, Patrick navigates us to the pier and we see two other touring cyclists. They are French and started eight days ago in Oslo, and are cycling to the Northkapp. We are uncertain about where to go, Patrick goes up a gangplank to talk to someone. Soon a car shows up and the man directs us on another ramp onto the boat and shows us where to secure the bikes.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

At the reception, Patrick checks us in but our cabin is not quite ready. Ironically, the cabin number is 310, our hotel room last night was also 310. Patrick explores the boat until the cabin is ready.  We have a nice cabin near the front of the boat with a good size window and a double bed. There is a tv that shows a constant movie scene from the front of the boat. Once settled we go to one of the serving areas for coffee and we eat one of our pastries. We are on an outside deck as we sail away. There are several spots to sit and we find a couple of nice lounge chairs to watch the scenery go by.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

At 1430, there is an announcement for Blue Mussels on the back deck. This is a nice treat. There are different announcements for lectures to explain the area we are passing through. The skies are very grey though, the wind blows and it rains most of the afternoon. Next port of call is not until about nine tonight, then a couple more in the middle of the night and our stop in Bodo at about 1300 tomorrow.

Free Blue Mussels served
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 2 km (1 miles)
Total: 1,001 km (622 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0