Day 11: Orbaden Hostel to Ljusdal - Racpat Scandinavia and the Baltics 2024 - CycleBlaze

July 12, 2024

Day 11: Orbaden Hostel to Ljusdal

Meeting up with Anders, the Biking Viking

“Hand me the gear through the window,” Patrick says after we packed up. We are in a room down the hall, and the window is just by the bikes this will save us shuttling the gear down the corridor. The hostel is a nice place to stay.

We go back to the junction that will take us to Ljusdal and our meeting up with Anders, the Biking Viking. Anders stayed with us through warmshowers in 2011. He was biking between running marathons in every state. He will meet us by the train station in town and shows us the way to his apartment.

There is even less today for stops, even the bus stalls have gone away since we are on a quieter road that does not seem to have a bus route.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A school bus stall
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

“Wait, let’s document this historic moment,” Anders says taking a picture as we meet up. Soon after arriving to Anders apartment, we give Anders the Chicago Cubs cup we brought for him. "We expected you to come back to visit. Since you never did, we brought the cup to you." Rachel grew up in Illinois and is also a Cubs Fan. 

Anders takes a picture of us
Heart 3 Comment 0
We meet up with Anders, the Biking Viking!
Heart 6 Comment 0

We get settled into the apartment taking the loaded bikes in the elevator to Anders’ 3rd floor apartment. The apartment is yours he says, “I’ll stay at a friend’s house who has an extra apartment. This is what I do with warmshowers guests.” 

Soon after arriving to Anders apartment, we give Anders a Cubs cup. "We expected you to come back to visit. Since you never did, we brought the cup to you." Rachel grew up in Illinois and is also a Cubs Fan. 

Anders is a Cub Fan! We just arrived at his apartment.
Heart 4 Comment 0

After cleaning up, he treats us to lunch at a nearby buffet. Buffets seem popular here in Sweden. Anders shows Rachel the laundry room in the basement of his building and gets the laundry started before he goes to visit his mother. He has reserved the time for the laundry for 2 to 6pm, and he shows Rachel the large drying room. A heater blasts warm air through the space which will dry things in minutes. We relax and catch up with the journal.

Anders calls and asks whether we’d like Swedish pancakes or Pasta for dinner. We go for the pancakes. Anders whips up a nice dinner of pancakes and salad…and beer. After dinner, a short visit and Anders leaves us to get settled for the night. His bed is a boat, Patrick takes and Rachel spreads out on the couch.  

Tomorrow will be rest day. Anders is working as a journalist for a local paper and has assignments to cover all day. We will relax in his apartment. We are planning to move on Sunday, even with a rainy forecast. To motivate us Patrick has made a reservation for a stuga (cabin) at a Dutch-run campground about 30km from here. After talking with Anders though it sounds the road we would take is not very good. Googlemaps shows it paved, but the imagery is 13 years old and it sounds like the road has returned to gravel.

We might have to reconsider our plans tomorrow.

Memory photos: 2011 and 2015

Anders Forselius http://www.bikingviking.se Visited us August 16-18, 2011 cycling & running marathons in 50 states
Heart 4 Comment 0
In 2015, we are in Prague at the same time as Anders and meet up for a Tank Beer.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 485 km (301 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0