Day 10: Vallvik Shelter to Orbaden Hostel - Racpat Scandinavia and the Baltics 2024 - CycleBlaze

July 11, 2024

Day 10: Vallvik Shelter to Orbaden Hostel

A rainy night

"This is pretty popular place," Patrick says as we stop at the cafe. At the junction we saw a sign that Vaxbo had a cafe...and since it's after 1100, we are certain that if it is still there, it will be open. We've not seen anything to stop for except bus stalls. 

Last night Patrick was able to get some updates on the Holland-England game, but he fell asleep at halftime. This morning we get the bad news: it sounds like Holland got robbed by a German referee……..

We heard it rain almost the whole night and as we wake about 0800, the rain is stopping. Fortunately because of the shelter, all our gear is completely dry. We pack up and head back to the main road. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Thick moss on the rocks looks like snow.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltMaybe reindeer lichen?
https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/125632-Cladonia-stellaris/browse_photos?place_id=7599
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensHi Bill, we are happy you'll be along with us on another trip.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
Headed back to the main road.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rachel spots hobbit houses.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltLooks like WWII ammo storage structures (igloo magazines) like I inspected thousands of during my 37 year Civil Service career in explosives.

https://www.wired.com/2014/03/joshua-dudley-greer-tnt-storage/
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Someone took a lot of effort to get a picnic table on the bridge piling.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
There was a sign that indicated this as a Knekten.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Eusheule at one km. If you know what i mean.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The road signs are the colors of the Swedish Flag
Heart 4 Comment 0

We stop at the VaxboBageri for a food break. We can understand why this is so busy…it’s the only place to stop for food and drink. We discretely sit at a picnic table and eat a sandwich. Patrick buys us a pastry and coffee.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another distance marker. Thanks Bjorn.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Robots everywhere cutting the grass.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltLooks like probably fireweed.

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/564969-Chamaenerion-angustifolium/browse_photos?place_id=7599
Reply to this comment
1 month ago

We stop in Vallstra to shop for groceries. Patrick is like a local who doesn’t have a shopping bag, carrying items loosely out of the store. Across the road is an old barn that is now a second hand store, very popular inSweden.

Heart 1 Comment 0

We've wondered  Why are all Swedish houses painted red and Rachel finally googled the question. "The color, known specifically as Falu red, has been a consistent symbol of pastoral life in Sweden for the last century, an influence that thanks to the Swedish diaspora has seeped into bordering countries, like Norway and Finland, and even America, in the form of the big red barn. The source of the color is its namesake. Falu red comes from the Falun copper mine in central Sweden, which dates back to the 9th century."

The barn now a second hand store
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0

Patrick has researched for another shelter, but questioned whether the location that is shown for it is accurate. On Campwild.org it is shown in a patch of trees right in the middle of a farmers field with no way to get to it. On another website we see a shelter hat looks very similar….. at the top of a nearby mountain…. We decided to make other plans.

At Orbaden there is a campground just beyond the junction we will turn to get to Ljusdal. There is also a Hostel and in his research found the value better at the hostel: free WiFi, great showers, private room and quiet. In the kitchen where we fix our traditional pork chops (though this was sliced pork) mashed potatoes and baked beans.  In the Tempo market Patrick bought a low alcohol beer. The higher alcohol beer and all liquor is purchased in special stores. “The Swedish government enjoys a monopoly because everybody should buy beer from the chain stores Systembolaget.

We settle in, enjoy a hot shower and catch up on the journal.

The hostel booking sent the code for the outside door, and a room code.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 68 km (42 miles)
Total: 437 km (271 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0