2024 Oregon: Elkhorn Mountain Loop & Map - Racpat Scandinavia and the Baltics 2024 - CycleBlaze

2024 Oregon: Elkhorn Mountain Loop & Map

May 19-24, 2024 Training Ride

May 19, 2024

We take the morning to irrigate our garden and collect the cats. We've arranged with our neighbor's daughter, Sara, to take care of the cats while we are gone. She now has a business of cat and dog sitting.

We collect the cats, they always know something is up, and await Wenda to join us. Wenda is in the spin class we do Tues and Thurs and wants to learn more about cycle touring. We all leave Boise about 2pm, with Wenda following us. Not far out of town, we see Wenda take an exit and we were already past and not able to follow. We took the next exit and by phone talked with her. Unfortunately, not enough to explain for her to get back on the interstate and not listen to GPS. Her GPS sent her to Hwy 20-26 the long way around. We think maybe the GPS was set to "cycling" rather than "driving". 

With the time change, we arrive at the Churchill School Bike Hostel around 330pm. We get settled in and wait for Wenda. After she arrives, we go back to the main street in town and eat dinner at the Sports Bar.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

The hostel is a great place with 4 bunk beds with privacy drapes and linen set in a great room with a kitchen. The cost is $30 per person, an exceptional value if a solo cyclist compared to a motel price, though the location is a little way from downtown. We want to support the enterprise in the old school building that in addition to the bike hostel also provides a venue for artists and performers.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Ron SuchanekSo cool! I'd love to do that loop.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Ron SuchanekHi Ron, there's the "official" Grand Tour Scenic Bikeway and what we did. We extended the loop from Baker City to La Grande, and did the route La Grande to Baker City. Beautiful country.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago