Day Three: Spool Cart Campground to La Grande - Racpat Elkhorn Mountain Loop 2024 - CycleBlaze

May 22, 2024

Day Three: Spool Cart Campground to La Grande

A Margarita Day

May 22, 2024

"Today is a margarita day," Rachel explains this has been a push for us on many tours to get to town with the treat of a Margarita, beginning in 1999 in South America. A reward at the end of the day. We are looking forward to a Mexican meal in La Grande. 

We are up and out of camp by 0706. Rain is threatening and we decide to forego heating water for coffee and oatmeal, instead getting an early start.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We see this in the distance wondering what the heck is it?
Heart 0 Comment 0

We continue the gradual descent following the river to Hwy 244. At Red Bridge Picnic and camping area we stop for a food break. Up until now we thought that the rain will end and there was going to be clear skies. Just as we got our food out, the sprinkles began.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

At Hilgard junction, we turn onto 5 point creek road and we the sign indicates 19 miles to La Grande. We continue following the Grande Ronde river and reach the Interstate 84 . Patrick had communicated with  a Warmshowers host in La Grande and asked about a route into La Grande; the only option along this stretch is the Interstate.

 From the interstate we take the exit to Perry and see the McCollough Historic Bridge . Then back on the interstate until we reach the Historic Road Exit. This takes us to downtown La Grande. We search for a motel, trying several before reaching the Royal Motel. It is only 1000am but we decide paying the $25 early check in fee is worth it to have a hot shower. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We go to Mexican restaurant a few blocks away for our Margarita reward lunch. Even with the lunch specials a meal is around $17 a person. We return to the motel and nap in the afternoon "until we eat again".  

Heart 0 Comment 0

Later we walk first to a brew pub but with the 10 minute wait and not seeing much on the menu that we liked, we continued exploring looking for food. But not this....

Heart 0 Comment 0

We stumble onto the BenchWarmer's Pub and Grill with a more local flavor of cliental, we have a nice dinner. 

We are all very tired.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 44 km (27 miles)
Total: 174 km (108 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0