The ride - Gladstone to Cairns 2024 - CycleBlaze

The ride

I’ve been cycling around Australia in stages since 2009. I’ve lived in Brisbane for seven years, also in stages, since then but haven’t cycled most of the Queensland leg. 

The major highway - the Bruce - goes near all the nice beaches but the lure of beaches doesn’t make up for the constant roar and stress of traffic, so we’re embarking on the Qld back blocks tour, avoiding basically every place you’ve ever heard of within a few hundred ks of the coast in Qld (unless you’re a wind farm developer). We’ll be following the National Trail, originally opened as the Bicentennial National Trail, in the year of my birth. Somewhat like Clare, the name aged, so the trail underwent a rebrand to drop the direct colonial overtones (at least I hope that’s why). 

The trail runs through some pretty rough range country from Healesville in Victoria up to southern Qld, but north of Gladstone it mostly follows public roads. 

Last year, Sam, Isis, Maggie and I rode a delightful rail trail /back road combo from Gympie to Gladstone. This year, as you may have noticed from the pronouns, I’ve also found friends! Unfortunately, Linda has suffered a health setback and is hopeful of joining at Eungella Dam, in from Mackay. So setting out from Gladstone will be Gabby, Dave and myself. 

We’re aiming for Cairns in three weeks. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Jen SilcockWe're looking forward to travelling vicariously through Queensland's back blocks with you...
Reply to this comment
4 months ago