Day 17: Charters Towers to Blue water springs roadhouse - Gladstone to Cairns 2024 - CycleBlaze

May 20, 2024

Day 17: Charters Towers to Blue water springs roadhouse

It was cold but dry overnight. I had to zip up my sleeping bag for the first time this trip! 

Gabby’s front tyre had gone flat again so he replaced the tyre and tube. Surprisingly we still got away before 9. 

The Gregory development road is much less trafficked than the Flinders Highway although still a lot of cattle trucks and other road trains. Also a lot of people in small size cattle trucks with caravan trailers coming south so there must have been a campdraft or rodeo over the weekend.

We made it to the next free camp, on Fletchers Creek by 10:30. It’s a lovely spot with a little footbridge over the stream.

Fletchers creek
Heart 0 Comment 0

There seemed to be fewer people even though it’d be my pick above the one yesterday. There was however an old guy walking round with his cockatoo, which talked to everyone. Its conversation was quite limited though. We enjoyed the date slice from the caravan park, and the interpretive signs about Liechhardt’s expedition and about how one of the Charters towers schools was relocated out near there during the Second World War. 

After that unexpectedly scenic and interesting break we kept going. We weren’t very close to the river but could sometimes catch glimpses of it and see the paddocks drop away. The depth of the rivers and gullies shows how much water could flow through here. I’m glad they’ve built bridges particularly over one named Breakneck Gully. 

We stopped for lunch at a not very inspiring truck pullover but it did have shade over picnic tables. 

After lunch we passed the Basalt River, which would have been nice except for the cows.

Had to leave this one to the bovines
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then we got to the Hervey Range Road turn off, and rode down into some nice floodplain country before finally reaching Blue water Springs roadhouse.

Big views for quite a small descent
Heart 0 Comment 0
Final destination on the signs!
Heart 0 Comment 0

The campground is pretty basic with only one toilet and shower but the people are very friendly and the chips were hot!

Today's ride: 109 km (68 miles)
Total: 1,177 km (731 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0