Day 15: Ravenswood rest day - Gladstone to Cairns 2024 - CycleBlaze

May 18, 2024

Day 15: Ravenswood rest day

This rest day was primarily Gabby’s idea but was good to be able to see more of Ravenswood and plan more of our route north. I found out that the National Trail have just released new maps for this section, with gps files, that are much easier to follow than the 1992 guidebook. However, a large part of the reason the guidebook is hard to follow is the trail has this section through private roads and river crossings to avoid a big hill on the public road. Having confirmed this, we’ve decided we don’t want to do either the private road faffing or big hill climbing so will cut west to Charters Towers and up the Gregory and Kennedy developmental roads. These are all sealed so it’s longer but hopefully faster. 

Last night, some of the caravanners told us about the antique shop that serves good coffee and beautiful scones. It was a foggy morning but once that lifted we headed into town in search of these delights. They were two thirds right. 

The shop was full of antiques
Heart 0 Comment 0
The scones were delicious but the coffee was average
Heart 0 Comment 0

After two scones each we wandered around town.

Looking at old buildings
Heart 0 Comment 0
And marvelling at how close the mine is coming to swallowing the town
Heart 1 Comment 0
And avoiding the Saturday morning traffic
Heart 1 Comment 0

We had lunch at the other pub, the Imperial. There was no card tricks but there was a menu option without meat.

Railway hotel
Heart 1 Comment 0

Ravenswood is a funny town, some parts are spick and span as they were when built with the gold money and some are as dilapidated as they were when the gold money left.

The restored
Heart 0 Comment 0
The unrestored
Heart 0 Comment 0

they had put a lot of effort into interpretative signs though and even some street art.

Street art
Heart 0 Comment 0
This photo frame seemed at odds with the miners hut that was apparently occupied until the 1980s but provided a set for silly photos
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bike, bougainvillea and bricks
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0