Sos del Rey Católico to Murillo de Gállego - Looping the Pyrenees - CycleBlaze

May 10, 2024

Sos del Rey Católico to Murillo de Gállego

Today was the most challenging ride so far but also the most scenic.  We started on a very quiet single-lane road for the first 7 km. It then joined a smooth two-lane minor highway and by the time we reached Uncastillo at ~km 22, we had seen exactly 3 motor vehicles. The last one passed me just as I reached the village. Al saw a large lizard, 50 cm long though mostly tail, and I saw a most beautiful hawk. No photos of either, though I got my camera out and waited a few minutes in case it should circle over again. 

The breakfast buffet at our hotel was actually rather sparse. When I’d made the booking, breakfast was listed as 12€ per person but when we checked in, we were told it was 7.50€ so we went for it
Heart 2 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonThis actually looks better than most of the breakfast we’ve had. Frequently, I’ll get breakfast stuff from a grocery store if I have a refrigerator!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Rachael AndersonI’m still hoping for granola or meusli.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Last look at Sos del Rey Católico
Heart 6 Comment 0
Along the very very quiet road. All the hillsides near Sos seemed to be terraced.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The very very quiet road
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Uncastillo
Heart 7 Comment 0

We didn’t spend long in Uncastillo; I looked at the exterior of Santa Maria Church, whose interior and exterior sculptures “were made by the Uncastillo Master” according to the info sign. Too bad it wasn’t possible to go inside; interior works might not show the effects of 900 years (?) of weather. 

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

The next section to our lunch stop at Biel was even more beautiful, though there was a small rush of traffic as we approached Biel. In addition to a few cars, there was a group of at least 8 motorcycles, big American-style touring models rather than the sporty European ones we usually see, some operated by inexperienced riders, according to Al. I only noticed that they weren’t going too fast. In any case, we were happy to see them leaving Biel as we approached. 

Heart 6 Comment 0
Biel
Heart 3 Comment 0

Biel looks very small, but Al spotted a sign to a restaurant and not far off the A-1202 we found *the* place to have lunch in Biel. I can’t remember what the name of the dish was that we both ordered, but it was excellent. We had scored the last shady table outside and relaxed with our food, beers, and cold water for some time. 

We ate here. Recommended (but forgot a photo of the bar’s name).
Heart 4 Comment 0
We both had this. It was fantastic!
Heart 5 Comment 0

Then it was back on our bikes and the big decision:  follow the longer, fully paved TA route or the shorter route Lyle and Kirsten had taken last year, with 13 km unpaved?

The traffic wasn’t bad at all on A-1202 but we opted for the road less travelled. It was slow going, some of it walking (much more for me than for Al), but it definitely gave us a sense of accomplishment. Approaching Agüro, we were surprised to have a French SUV pass us from behind, with its driver looking equally surprised to encounter us. Then there were a couple more vehicles coming from Agüero, and then we were back on asphalt. 

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
There was some hike-a-bike involved, more for me than for Al
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 2
Lyle McLeodI recognize this. At least it’s not raining! Always a little dangerous to follow our breadcrumb trail rather than TA’s
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Lyle McLeodI remembered your photo too. We weighed the options and decided it couldn’t be worse than the creekbed we followed in Sicily—and it wasn’t.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
This bridge would have prevented wet feet, had we seen it from the other side. We crossed just 25 metres or so upstream and I got a wet foot.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We see Agüero! Now where’s that asphalt?
Heart 6 Comment 1
Lyle McLeodIt’s coming soon! Beautiful blue sky. Such a stunning place.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
In Agüero
Heart 5 Comment 0
Looking back at Agüero
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Flower of the day, seen in the meadows we passed through
Heart 3 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltMaybe anemone

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/803749-Anemone-pavoniana/browse_photos?place_id=6774
Reply to this comment
3 months ago

We had been catching glimpses of the Mallos de Agüero as we rode but now they towered above us.   From the Hoya de Huesca tourism website:  “These ridges are formed by conglomerates that originated in the accumulation of solid particles from the destruction of some of the Pyrenees peaks; the Gállego river deposited these at the foot of the mountain, thus forming a large refuse cone. The way they look today is because of erosion. Their shape and height make them an ideal place for climbing and other sports, as well as for the observation of bird colonies nesting in these surroundings.”

Clearly they are popular because we saw more traffic in the 5.5 km stretch from Agüero down to A-132  in the valley than we had seen all day. 

We easily found our lodging in Murillo, our latest arrival yet at 6:30, but we were sitting down to a delicious meal at 8. We weren’t alone at Hotel Rural Reina Berta; most of the few tables in the refectory were occupied. We are everything set before us and drank the entire bottle of wine. Tomorrow is a rest day. 

Heart 2 Comment 2
Patrick O'HaraBig day. Good training for what's to come?
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Margie AndersonWay to go on this route!!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago

Today's ride: 77 km (48 miles)
Total: 319 km (198 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 0