Murillo de Gállego to Jaca - Looping the Pyrenees - CycleBlaze

May 12, 2024

Murillo de Gállego to Jaca

Another breakfast that included plenty of ham and cured sausage, along with toast, a selection of non-packaged jams, fresh fruit and nuts, we were off north following the Rio Gállego. 

When we finally got a good view of the river, we could see why the tiny village of Murillo had multiple rafting outfits.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The original plan was to look at the track on the south side of the reservoir. We rode down and across the dam…
Heart 4 Comment 0
…from which we had a nice view of the still surface of the reservoir
Heart 6 Comment 3
Scott AndersonBeautiful. Well worth the pointless OAB.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Scott AndersonWell worth it! Only a couple hundred metres, I think.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Patrick O'HaraNice series of shots.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
It looked like water was released to spill down the face of the dam, but not today.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The south-side unpaved road is that way
Heart 1 Comment 0
Hmm…it was Sunday so there wouldn’t be any work happening. We went a short distance to take a better look and it was really rough, so back to the paved road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The paved road crosses the reservoir on this old one-lane bridge.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Much of the road on the climb looked like this
Heart 2 Comment 0
At the top!
Heart 5 Comment 0
Me too!
Heart 6 Comment 0
Flower of the day. Not the most showy, but they glowed yellow-green in the sun.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltSpurge. Species are extremely variable. This one might be serrated spurge.

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/162851-Euphorbia-serrata
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Bill ShaneyfeltI remember seeing a variety of it in Sicily and I’ve seen it in garden stores at home. This version is the most attractive so far.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago

After a thrilling descent and a soul-killing climb up to Jaca from the bridge over the Rio Gas, our route took us through the centre of Jaca.  We were too early to check in and we were hungry, so we decided to eat before finding our hotel on the northern outskirts of the city. It was busy at lunchtime on a Sunday!  We found a restaurant near the cathedral with an available table and had th3 best lunch of the trip so far. 

We shared a grilled vegetable salad…
Heart 4 Comment 1
Margie AndersonWow, that looks amazing!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
…then Al had gnocchi with mushrooms and I had spinach risotto. Yum! Both dishes were excellent!
Heart 4 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonLooks delicious! I’m glad you found a restaurant that wasn’t full on a weekend. We’ve had several times we had to hunt around for a place.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago

We returned to the city centre in the early evening for a walkabout and a light dinner. 

I liked the design of this building.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Street scene, Jaca on a Sunday evening
Heart 6 Comment 0
Entrance to the Citadel, Jaca.
Heart 6 Comment 0
It’s a drawbridge!
Heart 2 Comment 0
The inner works of the drawbridge. I don’t think it functions; the counterweights aren’t connected to the chains.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 54 km (34 miles)
Total: 373 km (232 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0