In Torla-Ordesa - Looping the Pyrenees - CycleBlaze

May 14, 2024

In Torla-Ordesa

Another rest day so soon?  I dithered a lot on where to put a day off the bikes when planning this section of the trip, as I knew we’d want one. I should have made it two, but Al is always wanting to spend as little time away as possible and I want to experience the most I can. Hence our challenging tours.

I picked Torla-Ordesa because it seemed to offer more possibilities for a hike or just hanging out than our next planned stops. Whether that is true or not we’ll find out. In any case, it was pouring this morning so we were happy to sleep in. 

That seemed like a popular idea among the guests in this hotel. The excellent breakfast buffet is offered from 7:30 to 10:00 and it seemed we were earlier than most at 8:45. 

We eventually went out for a walk when the rain let up. We visited the excellent Parque Nacional Ordesa y Monte Perdido visitor centre, which appears very new, with a bit of finishing construction ongoing. More walking and then a return to the hotel to rest up before the next series of mountainous travel days. 

Last night’s view from our room
Heart 6 Comment 0
Looking up the valley when we ventured out
Heart 4 Comment 1
Patrick O'HaraBeautiful. What a great region.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
And down the road in front of our hotel
Heart 4 Comment 0
Lyle is right. A very pretty butcher shop.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Yet another bell-tower shot
Heart 4 Comment 0
Flower of the day. We’ll call this one amapola since we’re in Spain.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another interesting plant growing on a rock wall
Heart 1 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltLooks like pennywort.

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/129454-Umbilicus-rupestris
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
In Torla
Heart 3 Comment 0
In Torla
Heart 1 Comment 0
We heard cowbells and mooing, and this is what we saw from our hotel balcony
Heart 4 Comment 0
A nice afternoon for a walk through town
Heart 3 Comment 0
And off they go
Heart 3 Comment 0

Later in the afternoon, it was the sheep’s turn. Al’s video shows it best. 

I took the time this afternoon to reread Lyle and Kirsten’s account of their ride from here to Ainsa, because we were planning to take the same route. The same route they planned, that was, until my research discovered that we’d be taking the same route they actually rode too.

HU-631 through Cañon de Añisclo is closed again. Drat!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Dinner tonight was excellent!  And not much more € than last night’s shared pizza and salad. Restaurante Atalaya is highly recommended if you find yourself in Torla.  

They brought us a dish of lentil soup/stew to share as an appetizer.
Heart 1 Comment 0
My Moroccan lamb with couscois
Heart 3 Comment 0
Al had presa ibérica with potato purée
Heart 2 Comment 0
We each had our own cheesecake for dessert. It would have been enough to share, but it was so good I was happy not to.
Heart 5 Comment 0
When Al went up to pay, he came back with digestifs.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Rachael AndersonWhat a great town for a layover!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago