In Bilbao again - Looping the Pyrenees - CycleBlaze

June 20, 2024

In Bilbao again

Our big task for today was to rescue our bike cases and suitcases and get them packed.  It was different people working at reception than when we started our trip but they knew we had bike cases and once we told them they had been stored for 6 weeks, it was realized that they would be in the storage room in the parkade.  Then it was suggested we use a well-lit area of the parkade to disassemble and pack the bikes.  Perfect.  The Bilbao Plaza Hotel was a bit more than I usually pay, but its location and staff are excellent, and it's actually a budget price for central Bilbao.  The buffet breakfast is okay; we ate there because Al didn't want to have to look for a place and then pay the same amount.

Chores done, we went out for a mid-day walk and saw parts of Bilbao we had seen before and new places too.  We were looking for bike jerseys but the one we both like was a limited-edition design and the last one remaining was too small for either of us.  Oh well, it's not like either of us actually needs another jersey!

For lunch, we went to Erriberako merkatua, where one end of the first floor is a sort of food fair, with half-a-dozen vendors offering various pintxos, beverages, and desserts.  It's easy for non-Spanish visitors because everything is labelled so no wondering what's in those kroketak (croquettes)--you can just read the little sign.  Definitely worth a visit and we'll go back if we find ourselves in Bilbao again.

It was threatening to rain again when it was time to go out for our last dinner of the trip so we wanted someplace close. We ended up at the same Italian place near our hotel we had eaten at before under the same circumstances, though we chose pasta instead of pizza this time.

Just a couple of photos from our walks today, taken with my phone. 

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0