El Port de la Selva to Collioure - Looping the Pyrenees - CycleBlaze

May 25, 2024

El Port de la Selva to Collioure

A lovely but challenging ride today!  We rode a couple hundred metres along the waterfront and then the climbing started. Up, up, and up to the monestir de Sant Pere de Rodes. The road was narrow with guardrails but there wasn’t a lot of vehicle traffic. There were a lot of bicycles, going up and coming down. When we got to the monastery, there were a lot of visitors. From the info sign (in 4 languages): “For its historical and artistic legacy, Sant Pere de Rodes Monastery is one of the landmarks of Catalonia.”  It seemed many people decided to visit on this sunny Saturday. We looked in but carried on. (We walked the path to the monastery. We saw other cyclists riding it but it seemed more polite to walk given the number of pedestrians.)

Morning, El Port de la Selva
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking back down on El Port de la Selva
Heart 3 Comment 0
There’s a castle up there! The monastery is on the right.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The little blip on the highest point is an observatory of some sort. The road crosses by a lower saddle them splits to go to either Cadaqués on the other side or El Port de la Selva (the road sloping down to the left).
Heart 1 Comment 0
The flower looks sort of like a rose but the leaves and stems are all wrong. These were all along the climb.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltRock rose of some kind

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/1421243-Cistus
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Bill ShaneyfeltThe description and location make that sound right.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Looking into the monastery. We didn’t pay to go in, though I expect it’s interesting. 4€ for seniors.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Scott AndersonNice shot! And it looks like you’re getting outstanding weather conditions.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago

Then it was a scenic descent, followed by a boring 12 km between Vilajuïga and Espolla on a bigger highway with shoulder.

Nice park in Espolla near the church, with benches on the perimeter. We had our snack here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Espolla
Heart 2 Comment 0
Climbing to Coll de Banyuls
Heart 1 Comment 0
There were 4 cattle guards on the Spanish side of the climb, with the first two covered by steel plates. No cattle guards on the French side.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Climbing to Coll de Banyuls
Heart 2 Comment 0
Climbing to Coll de Banyuls
Heart 2 Comment 0
Made it! There are lots of stickers on the French side of the sign, a harder climb I expect, both longer and steeper than the Spanish side we rode.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Spanish side of the sign.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Descending to Banyuls-sur-Mer
Heart 1 Comment 0
Descending to Banyuls-sur-Mer
Heart 1 Comment 0
Descending to Banyuls-sur-Mer. These road markings were every so often all the way down. We saw no cars on the French side and very few on the Spanish side. Granted, we spent much more time on the climb than on the descent.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Yup, we’re in France. Of course, there are vineyards in Spain too.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Memorial to Banyulencs who lost their lives assisting refugees to get into Spain.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Banyuls-sur-Mer
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our accommodation in Collioure
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Collioure
Heart 2 Comment 0
On our pre-dinner walk exploring a bit of Collioure.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 59 km (37 miles)
Total: 1,036 km (643 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0