Collioure to Ille-sur-Têt - Looping the Pyrenees - CycleBlaze

May 27, 2024

Collioure to Ille-sur-Têt

Another good day today!

We were already awake this morning when the hammering and sanding started at 7, presumably from the apartment next door. We just carried on with our morning routine, ate our granola with yogurt and fantastic French strawberries from yesterday’s market, and were out the door by 9. 

D114 was fairly busy until drivers in a hurry could change to D914, and then there was a traffic-free interlude on a paved path from where we left Argelès until we turned onto the D2 at Saint-Antoine. We then followed D2 as it wound its indirect way to Ille-sur-Têt. 

Flower of the day. There were just a few of this pink variety beside the road just past Brouilla. I had to stop for a quick photo.
Heart 4 Comment 4
Patrick O'HaraReally enjoying the flower shots. They're almost unbelievably beautiful, really.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Bill ShaneyfeltThose are poppies, but I have not found a perfect match for the species.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Patrick O'HaraThanks, Patrick!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Bill ShaneyfeltI have never seen anything like these, only red in Europe, yellow in North America, and blue in places like Butchart Gardens.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago

The entire area seems dedicated to viticulture and orchards, rather than grazing (which we saw a lot of in Spain).

This tree is loaded with nectarines
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of the many vineyards.
Heart 3 Comment 0

One of the bigger villages we passed through was Fourques, where we saw signs and posters that are part of local farmers’ attempts to fight back against industrial agriculture. Later, we saw our first, and so far only, inverted town sign. 

The inverted sign of Les Hostalets
Heart 0 Comment 0
And, around the corner, the main street of the village.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Tiny honeysuckle vines with big flowers beside the road
Heart 5 Comment 0
I like the way these new distance markers pay homage to the old concrete ones, one of which is shown on the left.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Patrick O'HaraObservant and appreciated catch. Love the old way-markers in Europe.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
At the top! Note the loose white gravel—there was a bit of this near the top of the climb and more on the descent. Not too bad with our wider tires but we proceeded with caution.
Heart 5 Comment 3
Patrick O'HaraI bet you just loved your Naked bike in the gravel.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Patrick O'HaraIt could be good, but I tour with 38 mm rather slick GravelKing tires and don’t have the greatest MTB skills. The little pebbles were like ball bearings but at least not too deep. I don’t like chipseal, especially when it’s not yet compacted by traffic.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Rich FrasierTo Jacquie GaudetThat's a classic south-of-France summer road resurfacing job. They spread tar over the road, dump a bunch of gravel on it, and let the cars grind the gravel into the road surface. Until that happens, it's tough to cycle on!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
We saw these on the other side of the road when we were descending. Clearly we came up the easy way. It’s odd to me that the top is green; departmental (D) roads usually have markers with yellow tops, and the signs going down were yellow. Green tops indicate municipal roads, I think.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We arrived outside our lodging around 1:30 and check-in was not until 5 so rather than see if we could check in 3-1/2 hours early, we rode into Ille-sur-Têt for lunch. It was a big 3-course lunch, which we ate at a slowing pace without taking any photos. For the entrée, Al had salade composé and I had crevettes.  I wasn’t sure what I’d get because I thought crevettes in English would be shrimp, but they were more like large prawns. Seven of them served whole, of course, with a nice mayonnaise to dip them in. 

For the plat, we both had Camembert rôti, which turned out to be a whole Camembert (about 8 cm diameter), roasted in its thin wood package, and served with a large roasted potato, some green salad, and some ham (we are still in a Catalan area).  Even Al was unable to finish it, though he had eaten most of the basket of bread with his salad. 

Of course, we had room for dessert:  chocolate mousse for Al and panna cotta for me. 

The kitchen closed after serving us but the place is also a bar, so we were under no pressure to finish and leave. 

This sign in the restaurant sort of summed it up.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We finally dragged ourselves out of the restaurant to go and see Les Orgues d’Ille-sur-Têt. These hoodoos aren’t far out of town and reviews indicated that they are worth visiting. Whether the visit is worth 5€ is another question. In any case, we got really confused trying to leave town due to Google Maps insisting the route was first down a one-way road the wrong way and then down a road temporarily closed for construction, but we eventually made it. 

Les Orgues
Heart 5 Comment 0
Les Orgues. It was cool that you can walk right up to them, or at least to the ropes signed not to cross. It was chilly and windy this afternoon so we had our extra layers on.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Les Orgues
Heart 4 Comment 0
A closeup of the rock texture, Les Orgues
Heart 2 Comment 0

After Les Orgues, we managed to find our way back to our lodging without making any wrong turns. Mas Tramontane is very nice and deserving of a full report tomorrow. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 69 km (43 miles)
Total: 1,105 km (686 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 0