Bilbao to Vancouver - Looping the Pyrenees - CycleBlaze

June 21, 2024

Bilbao to Vancouver

Not much to say about one of the smoothest air-travel-with-a-bike days we have experienced.

We had asked the hotel last evening if they could book a taxi for us for 8:30 this morning, but were told booking wasn't possible, but they could call one for us in the morning and it would be there in 5 minutes.  So that's what we did.  It took more like 20 minutes but we had allowed plenty of time.  As it turned out, the van taxi picked us up at 8:45 and we were at the airport and through both check-in and security by 9:30.  For us, that's a record!

Our flight left a few minutes after its scheduled noon departure time and I had been a bit worried about the connection at Schipol in Amsterdam, but it turned out that AMS is a very efficient airport (though very large--we got some exercise walking to our departure gate).  Even if our flight to Vancouver hadn't been delayed, we would have made it and our luggage as well.   We could see it in the wagon out on the tarmac.

Everything arrived with us at YVR a few minutes ahead of schedule.  Even giant airplanes benefit from tailwinds, I think.  We had to wait a while for our bikes at the oversize luggage area but they got there and we got them onto Canada Line without any wrong turns.  The hiccup came at Waterfront Station, where the cabs were just slightly smaller than the ones we've taken before.  We could fit our bikes and suitcases, but only one person.  I took the bus and got home just as Al had shuttled the last of our luggage into the house.  There's a a reason I volunteered to bus it; the nearest place for a cab to pick up or drop off is about 150 m from our door.

Now to start dreaming of our next tour...

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Robert ZachariasWelcome home. Interesting following your trip. Looks like you had a good time!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraWelcome back. Great journal. Thanks for sharing your adventure. Sue and I will be leaving on July 16th to Frankfurt, so look for our journal in the coming weeks.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Rich FrasierGreat trip and journal! Thanks!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Lyle McLeodGreat Tour. We'll probably be doing some of your France day's in reverse next spring.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Margie AndersonWelcome back Jacquie!! Your journaling is a great read!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago