Trulli I have had enough - Wheelin' Round the Heel - CycleBlaze

October 10, 2024

Trulli I have had enough

Today was a day to tour the Trulli (singular is Trullo) and take a few pics. Along the way we may have found some local wines we like too! I won't have much commentary here, as these are basically pics wandering about, without bikes! Tomorrow we start threading our way to the coast, first alighting in Grattiglie, which overlooks the Gulf of Toranto.

This one is for Lyle.
Heart 7 Comment 2
Lyle McLeodAlways good to have a kitty pic!
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Patrick Parnolots of them here!
Reply to this comment
1 week ago

This Basilica had a gorgeous yellow sandstone, but inside was not special. Still, it dominates the skyline in Alberbello. See anything interesting in the two clocks on the towers?

Heart 2 Comment 2
Karen PoretThe one on the left is a sundial and the one on the right IS a clock :)
Reply to this comment
1 week ago

Yes, it has a sundial on the left one! It was exactly one hour off, so I guess it doesn't do daylight saving time.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Far above the madding crowds, the sea of Trulli below.

Heart 0 Comment 0

A popular lookout showing the crush of tourists. I cannot imagine the summer.

Heart 0 Comment 2
Karen PoretToo many trulli heads 😬
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Patrick Parnoway too many, and this is low season
Reply to this comment
1 week ago

Just around the corner from our Trullo. Notice the stone roofs.

Heart 4 Comment 0

They often had these figures on their roofs, but we are not sure if they have any historical meaning or are there to entrance visitors.

Heart 2 Comment 0

You start getting used to seeing them used for everything, including fridge-magnet shops like below.

Heart 2 Comment 0

They have been here a very long time though, and will still be here long after we are gone. The fridge magnets may not fare as well.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Prior to Grottiglie where we stay overnight, we will ride through Locorotondo which is on an Italian list of the most beautiful towns in the nation. Tune in tomorrow for pics of that place we will no doubt take...

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Karen PoretI wonder what the people who actually reside here think about the tourism?
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Patrick Parnoi am sure they get fed up as people feel they can walk anywhere here with a camera.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago