Rockin' the 1A - Wheelin' Round the Heel - CycleBlaze

September 25, 2024

Rockin' the 1A

An annual gift to bikers here in the Canadian Rockies is the closure of the "Bow Valley Parkway" (highway 1A) to cars in May and September. A beautiful stretch of road for 55 km, they close about half of it.

Riding from home, the round trip is right at 100km.

..and no cars!
Heart 8 Comment 2
Scott AndersonThis would be spectacular. We’ve ridden the parkway a few times (and love Canmore), but didn’t know it was even closed off from cars.
Reply to this comment
5 days ago
Patrick ParnoIt is actually an experiment by Parks Canada. Many motorists complain about it, calling it an elitist bicycle gift, but we love it! The experiment ends this season, but there has been a huge update among cyclists. I hope they continue.
Reply to this comment
5 days ago

We don't have the red and orange colours of the maple trees, but the Aspens and Larches (Tamaracks) are a golden contrast to the dominant conifers here. We do have loads of animal sightings along here though including bears (grizzly and black), mountain sheep, fox, wolf (usually only wolf scat), and deer.

And the sun sets off the golden colour nicely.
Heart 9 Comment 0

 The entire valley runs along the Bow River, which has that lovely blue-green from glacier flour. One of our favourite lookouts quite often has mountain sheep, but there were none today.

Can't beat those colours!
Heart 6 Comment 2
Karen PoretNo, you can’t beat these colors..so why, really, are you going to Italy?
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Patrick Parnobecause yesterday the high here was 27 and the high in Canmore is 11!
Reply to this comment
1 week ago

A high of 25 C today, but I fear it's the last warm day for us here. The next week forecast show highs in the teens and occasional rain. Italy, here we come!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rob CurrieHard to beat the Rocky Mountains scenery and open road! However, I haven't wheeled around the heel and I suspect it is nothing short of spectacular.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Patrick ParnoTo Rob Curriewaking up in Matera. High of 23 today. Glad to have you along!
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago