Poking around Lecce - Wheelin' Round the Heel - CycleBlaze

October 17, 2024

Poking around Lecce

No bike ride today - although we did see a bicycle tour around Lecce we wish we had known about. If you come here, make sure and sign up - a great way to get around and see lots.

We started out in front of the Campanile del Duomo, somewhat of a landmark here, which actually houses one of the tallest elevators in Italy.

no, we didn't take the elevator
Heart 2 Comment 0

Across from this duomo is this museum, beautiful in its own right.

not a bad looking museum!
Heart 1 Comment 0

We did see a number of Africans selling wares, or walking in groups. We spoke with one fellow who was from Dakar (Senegal). It makes sense that southern Italy sees a lot of immigrants - quite likely illegal - coming from various parts of Africa.

Heart 0 Comment 0

There are 3 existing "ports" to the city, which were entry-ways to the fortifications built by Charles V.  This one is named after Naples.

Porta Napoli
Heart 2 Comment 0

At every turn you see another beautiful building, always made out of that yellow stone brick. Usually quite ornate, as Lecce is known as the baroque style capital of Puglia - most of Puglia architecture embraces the Romanesque style - flat front and little ornamentation. There are apparently 100 churches in the town, each trying to outdo the others no doubt.

Often the figures were in alcoves like this, which kept them from the elements - why they are so well-preserved.
Heart 2 Comment 0

A close-up of some of the detail. I imagine the artists of the time were well paid and had LOTS of work available.

detail on one of the baroque church doors
Heart 4 Comment 0

This one seemed to have a facade out front and bell towers at the back.

Heart 0 Comment 0

And then a reminder that the ancient Romans used this city as a regional capital as well. This amphitheater was supposed to house up to 25,000 Romans. They must have been skinnier back then - pre pizza?

Heart 1 Comment 0

As you walk through the old town, you see the residences with these fine doors, usually closed off - otherwise tourists would be walking in, no doubt.

You always wonder what is behind these doors.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Every once in a while they are open, and you get to gaze into the garden courtyard that the residence surrounds.

The grand entrance for when your dinner guests arrive.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Other times it is just a parking lot - albeit with a belladonna walking by!

Heart 2 Comment 0

Apparently the road from here to Brindisi is not recommended for cyclists, so we will be taking a train there tomorrow. All aboard!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Bob KoreisCertainly the Superstrada isn't, but I'm usurprised they didn't offer the option of what are mostly farm road routes through small towns (with the opportunity for second breakfast at a beautiful pasticcerria). However, Brindisi, like other large cities, has sections that aren't particularly fun on a bicycle.
Reply to this comment
2 days ago
Patrick ParnoWe did experience those city roads on our "day off", narrow streets, aggressive drivers. But I agree that there are lots of options once you exit the city.
Reply to this comment
2 days ago