Map and non-Schlepping Option - Wheelin' Round the Heel - CycleBlaze

September 14, 2024

Map and non-Schlepping Option

We have decided to cycle around the "heel of the boot" of Italy, an area called Puglia (poo'-lee-ah).  It is quite different from our previous bike trips for two reasons:

  1. it is only 500 km or so over a short two weeks
  2. we are going to use a tour company to rent us bikes and book hotels

Short because of the time we have available. We biked in Vancouver Island this year, and that was supposed to be our only bike trip this year. But that bug just wouldn't relent - so away we go for a quick trip.

The use of a tour company (instead of using our trusty Koga bikes) is because there are 2 flights and a bus ride to our starting point (Matera) and who knows where our bike boxes will end up with that itinerary. Easier to just rent. They also offer this schlepping service to move your luggage from hotel to hotel, so there's that! Just takin' the small panniers, are we?

Our route will look like:

Heart 0 Comment 0

We fly to Bari (top left on the map) from Rome  and will bus to our hotel in Matera. Then we will bike counter clockwise and not actually return to Matera, but drop the bikes off at Polignano a Mare where the tour company will pick them up. The tour company will also give us gpx files to keep us off busy roads that we will upload to Komoot. All that is great, but....I think they had me with the "we will schlepp for you"!

Did I mention that this is where Primitivo was first cultivated and bottled? Same as the North Am Zinfandel I understand, but I will have to check and see!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 14
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Ellie DurwardAnticipating pictures to follow. Have fun you two. Totally envious!!!!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Patrick Parnothere will be lots. its just a short one though, but should be nice weather in October.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago