Alberobello Unesco World Héritage Site - Wheelin' Round the Heel - CycleBlaze

October 9, 2024

Alberobello Unesco World Héritage Site

Trulli land!

Last night in our interpretive walk around the grounds. we were told that when they excavated for the building, they discovered some R0man and pre-Roman ruins, from 200 years BCE up to 5 AD. We were also shown some olive trees that were approx. 1,000 years old! We had to pay our respects to those old geezers on the way out.

These millennials still produce...
Heart 3 Comment 0

The area we are in is based upon limestone and has been eaten away (karsted) by acidic rain over the years so that there are huge ravines running through the land (see Matera entry!). So as soon as we left the farm we stayed on (it was 85 hectares!) we saw the first ravine bridge that we should take.

We assume we have to get up there...
Heart 1 Comment 0

Not sure how to get up there but we started out with a nice fast descent. Lots of fun! Until my gps started blaring that I had missed the turn. Ouch. Back up that fun hill. The turn off though was rather hidden, no wonder I missed it.

Honey, I think this is the way??
Heart 2 Comment 0

So Marjory is trudging up that "fun hill" and decides to photograph me as I make the turn onto the bridge we were supposed to be on.

I got this.
Heart 3 Comment 0

It was a wonderful trail starting at this bridge and running for about 5 km, on an old train bed which means about a 2 degree gradient, in this direction, down. Nice.

Why can't all trails be like this?
Heart 4 Comment 0

To the left of us was the new train bridge, with lots of trails up the side. We were hoping we would not be on them soon. You can see though how deep this ravine really is. This entire section of Puglia is like this.

Tell me we are not going on those trails?
Heart 1 Comment 0

And in the ravine's other direction, there is another crossing (highway?). 

Lots of bridges in this part of Puglia.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Once we were done coasting down this long, shallow grade, we came to the interesting town of Palagianello, clearly built on top of some previous ruins. After entering town, we began our first big hill of the day. Just a breeze today, and not hot yet, so the hill was not too bad at all.

As Canadians, we cannot relate to having 2,000 year old ruins always around the corner.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Once out of "ravine-land", the geography changed radically to gently rolling farmland, always lined by stones.

Heart 1 Comment 0

The stone walls do not use mortar at all, being held together by the varied sizes of stones and gravity alone. I don't know if they were dug up by clearing these fields (likely) or are from quarries, but they are a demarcation of farms, sub-sections, and roadways. For how many centuries I wonder?

Heart 2 Comment 0

We had a brief lunch stop at a cafe recommended by the gps, which was much better than yesterday's "bar". As I was leaving the cafe though, I was struck by the size of the cars in the parking lot. I wonder what Europeans think when they come to Alberta and see huge pickup trucks everywhere?

75 km per litre?
Heart 2 Comment 0

It was about this time when we saw our first "trullo", the ancient stone huts that are still used for storage and were originally dwellings as well. As we got closer and closer to Alberobello, the frequency of sightings increased. The original ones date back to ancient Greece.

First trullo!
Heart 4 Comment 0

After a bit of a hill, I was waiting for Marjory when the local welcoming committee came to say hello. They were wondering if I had an apple for them, but alas, no.

Anything to eat?
Heart 5 Comment 0

Be prepared for lots of trulli (plural) photos. They are being built anew as well, perhaps because they know tourists like them. This place about 5 km from Alberobello looked to be newly built, and might be a hotel or restaurant.

I like the red doors.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Then there are the "working trulli", like on this farm.

Probably storage.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We even saw some in fields.

Trulli working (see what I did there?)
Heart 2 Comment 0

Finally in Alberbello, we came to truly trulli heaven. There is a center of town with almost as many trulli as there are tourists - and there are hordes of tourist. Oh wait, we're tourists.

So, being tourists, we get a hotel room - in a trullo.

Trulli our room.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Karen PoretAnd the center table piece is Trulli art ;)
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Patrick ParnoTo Karen PoretWell done!
Reply to this comment
1 week ago

They have thick, thick walls (up to 2 meters) and almost no windows, so the A/C is essential (and works well).

Tomorrow we spend the day in this town looking at trulli. I just might have a few more trulli pics to show.

from Puglia Cycle
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 51 km (32 miles)
Total: 108 km (67 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0