June 13 … The Moose Loop minus an antler - PedalPushin 2024 - CycleBlaze

June 13, 2024

June 13 … The Moose Loop minus an antler

Heart 0 Comment 0

We are not at home … finally, as it has been a bit too long since we cycled anywhere but our home turf.

We woke today with crossed fingers that the weather forecast would be correct and Anchorage would have blue skies.  It didn’t look too promising but as the day unrolled, the sky came with it.  Anchorage is know for clouds and rain for the majority of the year as it is on the coast.  But today, it broke that record much to our relief.

Campbell Creek Trail looking east towards Chugach Mountains … typical Anchorage scenery when it’s not cloudy and raining
Heart 2 Comment 0
One of many bridges that crisscross Campbell Creek
Heart 3 Comment 0

We set our sights on the “Moose Loop” which basically involves cycling 3 major trail systems that encircle Anchorage.  The first, the Campbell Creek Greenway, is an east-west route in the southern part of the city.  It eventually winds around to intersect with the Chester Creek Greenway which then moves west to intersect the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail. Once connected, the rough outline of a moose’s head take place on a map and thus the name.

Heart 1 Comment 0

We enjoyed all 3 trails as they were in good condition, avoided all roadways, and we saw a mixture of users including cyclists, walkers, one skate skier, and other folks simply enjoying the views of the streams or coastal area.

We did get one wildlife visitor, a moose who unfortunately is in pretty rough condition with ribs showing and very little muscle mass.  I would guess that she won’t make next winter.

Not looking very healthy … winter is only 3 - 4 months away …
Heart 1 Comment 0

We ended the day with 33 miles and the promise that tomorrow’s weather will be just as good and slightly warmer as today’s 50 degree temperatures were just a bit too cool for shorts and t-shirts.

Today's ride: 33 miles (53 km)
Total: 4,944 miles (7,957 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0